#13# 'i know.'

Hugh was furious. He spent his time storming around the house, slamming doors, yelling, glaring at Victor. No one could calm him down. Everyone stayed out of his way mostly, especially Adelaide who stayed confined in her bedroom. No one much minded Hugh's temper. It was irritating, sure, but he had a good reason to be upset. The final straw, though, was when he snapped at Fiona.

It was at breakfast time. Hugh was particularly grouchy that morning, as he had witnessed Adelaide get up and rush to the bathroom twice already throughout the meal. He was staring at his plate with a hard expression, not reacting when Fiona tapped his arm through the net that seperated him and his twin from everyone else.

The girl repeated the gesture, frowning when he shifted his arm away from her. Everyone fell silent as the encounter was noticed. It was a rare occasion that Hugh ignored his girlfriend. So rare it had never happened before.

Fiona shifted under the eyes of her entire family, not taking her eyes off Hugh. She tried to catch his gaze, bottom lip wobbling when he looked pointedly away from her.

As a desperate last resort she spoke. It was soft, but loud enough for everyone to hear.

"Hugh." She breathed, flinching back with a silent gasp when he spun his head to glare at her.

"What do you want, Fiona?" He demanded cruelly, instantly feeling terrible when meet her green eyes that were steadily filling with tears. Without another word, the Irish girl slid her chair from under the table and ran from the room, the sound of her footsteps followed by the slam of the door that led to her garden.

"Was that necessary, Hugh?" Emma hissed, rounding on him with hands glowing slightly.

"I didnt-"

"Its one thing to be crabby with me and Victor. It's understandable for you to be rude to everyone else, but Fiona? Really?" Adelaide stood up and glared at her brother. "Like it or not Hugh, I'm pregnant and you being a little arse hole isn't changing that, so stop being so rude and go apologize to Fiona."

Surprising everyone, he didn't retaliate, simply standing and leaving the room in the same direction as Fiona.

"Miss Apiston, while the gesture was appreciated, the language was not. Join me later for an hour of dictation. Expand your vocabulary." Miss Peregrine reprimanded her ward, geasturing for everyone to continue the meal.

Adelaide grinned at her caretaker, noticing the small smile that graced the ymbryne's lips for the first time in weeks. She dropped back into her seat, hoping to finish the meal in peace.

***

It didn't take long for Hugh to find Fiona. She was sitting against the far wall of the house, in a small space she found between two bushes. She watched him wearily as be approached her, blinking slowly through watery eyes.

"Can I sit with you? Or would you like me to leave." Hugh asked.

"Sit." Fiona said without any thought. She moved over, sitting further under the leaves to male space for him.

"I'm sorry." Hugh whispered, voice cracking slightly. "I didn't mean to snap at you. Well, I did but i shouldn't have. I'm mad at Addie and Victor, not you. You didnt do anytbing wrong."

Fiona smiled softly at him. "Neither did Victor and Adelaide." She shook her head, speaking over him when he opened his mouth. "They didn't do anything we haven't, Hugh. They're just unlucky enough to be dealing with consequences. It could have just as easily been me."

Hugh frowned. "But it wasnt. It was Adelaide. It was my sister." He glared at the ground, rubbing at his face. "I'm the one that should of protected her from stuff like this. I should have stopped this."

"Hugh, look at me please." Fiona grasped his cheek, turning his face to meet his eyes. "This isn't anyones fault, nor should you be treating it like a problem. Yes, while it may not be an ideal situation, i haven't seen Adelaide happier than she was last night when she and Victor were talking about the baby. Shes happy, but she needs you, Hugh. She needs her brother and she needs support."

"I know. I just need a while to process it." He mumbled, dropping his head onto Fiona's shoulder. "I love you."

"I know." She smiled, reaching to grasp his hand.

"I'm sorry for being rude."

She chuckled. "I know."

They fell into silence, him tracing small circles on her hand until Fiona spoke up. "I'm still mad at you."

Hugh looked up at her with a grin, pressing his lips to her cheek. "I know."

Hello from England!

Im not in england. Idk why i said that.

Anyway so her is a chapter of Fugh bc the desolation of devils acre made my heart hurt and i think we all justneeded this. Ima try to update more regularly but ive said that before and i dont trust my chances.

Ohh, if you interested in reading a Marlene McKinnon love story, check out my friend simply_charmed her story love darla is pretty cool

Anyway love you all thanks for reading

#letusbegremlins
-jazzie💗💗