#10# "whats wrong?"

Hugh's POV

One look at the woman's face sent Adelaide down the hallway, the slam of the back door alerting us that she went outside.

Before I could take off after her, Fiona tugged on my sleeve. When I turned to look at her, she reached for my face and wiped away the tears that I hadn't realised slipped down my face. I layed a single kiss on her forehead, grateful for her comfort.

"Hugh?" Emma worried. "Whats wrong?" Before I could answer, Fiona nudged me behind her gently.

"Go to Addie." She mumbled quietly, turning to the others startled faces. I slipped my goggles back over my eyes and walked through the house and out the back door.

It didn't take long to find Adelaide, her bright copper curls making it easy to spot her in the tree she sat in. Her bloodshot eyes peered warily at me as I climbed towards her, but once I reached her branch she moved over for me.

We sat in silence for a while, taking in each other's presence.

"Who do you think it is?" Adelaide eventually broke the silence, turning her freckled face to look at me.

I shrugged, letting out a sigh.

"It obviously isn't actually....her. But the resemblance is uncanny." I mumbled.

"Why don't you come see for yourself?" A familiar voice taunted us humourously.

I looked down to see Abe smiling up at us sympathetically. "Fiona's worried for you both. She says that you need space but I can feel that she wants to come out and see you. Victor's back by the way."

At the mention of her boyfriend's name, Adelaide shimmied down the tree and ran across the lawn, only stopping to ask Abe where Victor was.

I followed her, at a much slower pace. When we found Victor in the living room with everyone else, save Miss Peregrine and the woman, Adelaide ran straight at him, buring herself in his embrace. I tensed slightly, somewhat upset that she found more comfort in him than myself, but shook off the unwelcome feelings.

I sat down next to Fiona, taking her hand in mine. Everyone looked at Adelaide and I expectantly.

"Who is she?" Adelaide soon demanded, the words muffled against Victor's chest.

"Her Name is Miss Laury." Horace informed us. I felt my body tighten. Laury. My mother's maiden name.

"Why is she here?" This question came from me.

"Ask her yourself." Emma whispered, turning to the door. I looked behind me just in time for the door to creak open and for 'Miss Laury' to peer in.

At the sight of her, I flinched. However, now that she was closer, I found tiny differences between this woman's features and my mother's. Her hair was a few shades darker than my Mother's familiar auburn that Adelaide received, and not as many freckles were scattered across this woman's pale skin.

"Hello." She smiled nervously, stepping into the room, Miss Peregrine just behind her. Her wide blue eyes blinked shyly and flickered between Myself and Adelaide, who turned to glare at her.

"Who the hell are you!" My sister demanded, stomping her foot rather childishly.

"Miss Apiston, You-" Miss Peregrine began to scold her, but Adelaide shushed her, raising an eyebrow at the woman.

The woman looked slightly taken aback by Adelaide's outburst, but she answered none the less. "My name is Maria. I'm you're mother's sister."

"Our mother didn't have a sister." I interrupted and Adelaide nodded along with me.

Maria sighed. "Ruby-your mother-"

"We know her name!"

"Right. Sorry." Maira cringed and continued, "Charlotte had a falling out with our parents a few years after you two were born. She cut all ties with us and left to England with John, your father-"

"You really expect us to believe that?" Adelaide sneered, taking a step away from Victor and closer to Maria. Her hands were clenched in tight fists and her whole body was shaking. I recognised the signs of an panic attack quickly, pulling Adelaide to the lounge and trying to help her control her breathing.

Everyone shut up when they noticed that Adelaide was freaking out, all but Maria who looked at Adelaide with interested concern. "Is she okay?"

"She'll be okay soon. We just need to slow down her breathing and calm her." Victor knelt down besides Addie and rubbed her back. "If possible, would you be able to leave the room for a while? I think you're scaring her."

It wasn't a suggestion. Victor's heavy tone made that very clear. Maria nodded and quickly made her way from the room, Miss Peregrine filling behind her to accommodate our guest.

"Bea. You have to take deep breaths. In and out, Love." Victor was murmuring quietly to Adelaide as I sunk into the lounge next to her. Her hand found mine, and I squeezed it tightly before lifting our hands and pressing a quick kiss to her pale skin. She gave me a shaky smile in return, and focused on Victor, who was guiding her breathing.

Within the next quarter of an hour, Adelaide was okay again, and she stood up, demanding to talk with 'the woman', as apparently she didn't believe that Maria was in anyway related to our mother, despite the obvious physical resemblance.

Millard said something to everyone else, that I didn't hear, and one by one, everyone left the room, Millard last after filing his had to us in farewell.

"Why did Mother never tell us " I looked at Addie in surprise when she said this.

"You believe her?"

"Of course I believe her." She mumbled quietly, looking at her hands. "She looks so similar to Mother. Plus, she knows our parents names."

"I don't know why Mother didn't tell us, Adds." I sighed, falling back against the couch.

"It doesn't make any sense. Why on earth would Miss Peregrine go to a loop, and return with our Aunt?"

It clicked. "Addie! Maybe she's peculiar!"

"Who? Miss P? No shit, Hugh." Addie rolled her eyes, picking at a thread that had started to tear away from the hem of her dress.

"No, Maria! What if she's Peculiar! What if our mother was! What if Mum was like us!"

Hello Lovelies!

I'm so sorry for the late update.

I tried to update earlier, but apparently it didn't work and then I couldn't find the chapter on Google docs so I could retry updating it. I ended up having to delete Wattpad and Google docs and make a new email to rewrite this chapter.

Anyway, this chapter wasn't extremely eventful, so I'll try to make the next one more exciting, and include lots of Victor and Addie scenes.

Also what is their ship name?

Vaddie, Additor or Brapiston or Apistuntley

Comment your fave! (I low-key hate them all)

Omg!
What about Beddy or tea!

Anyway, let me now which one you lie the most, and I'll revel it in the next chapter.

Don't be a silent reader! Tell me what you think.

I love you all so much!!! *Consentual head kisses for everyone*

Anyway,
#letusbegremlins
🌜-jazzie