She's Really Glad You're Back

The next morning, Elliot woke up nervous. He hoped things with Olivia would go well but he knew she would have questions. He just hoped he could give her the answers she was looking for. As he was about to get into the shower, his phone vibrated on the counter, signaling that he received a text message.

Central Park at noon. -Liv

Elliot smiled softly. Just seeing her name pop up on his phone made him happy. Then he remembered how upset and heartbroken she looked when they went into her office yesterday. He knew he needed to make things right. He didn't want to lose her again. It would destroy him.

By the time he got dressed and finished breakfast, he still had an hour to kill before they would be meeting. He didn't know what to do with himself so he decided to head to the park and wait for her. Thankfully, the weather was cooperating. It was mid-February but it felt like springtime. It was perfect. As he was walking, he saw a coffee cart and made his way over to it. He remembered all those times he would get coffee for her at the beginning of their shift or vise versa. He shook the thoughts away, not wanting to be upset when Olivia saw him. He paid for the coffees then sat on a bench in the middle of the park and waited.

After about twenty minutes, Elliot saw a beautiful brunette walking towards him. His breath caught in his throat. Dressed casually in a black top and blue jeans, Elliot thought she looked breathtaking. Of course, he always thought that about her.

"Hey." Olivia greeted, smiling lightly, finally making it to where Elliot was sitting.

"Hey." Elliot replied, smiling back and handing her the second coffee in his hands. "There ya go." He said, smiling softly.

"Oh, thanks." She replied, surprised, taking the coffee from him. Their hands touched and they both gasped softly. Sparks ignited and they had to pull away. "I'm surprised you still remember how I like it." She tried to joke, instantly regretting it.

Elliot smiled sadly. "I'll never forget." He responded softly, trying not to let his voice crack.

"I'm sorry, I..." she tried to apologize but Elliot cut her off.

"It's okay, I deserve it." He replied softly, sadly.

"Elliot, I...I don't know how to do this. I don't know what to say. I'm angry, I'm hurt, I...I just wasn't expecting to come into work one day and not find you there after twelve years together. And you didn't even say goodbye. All I got was your badge and 'Semper Fi, El.' Do you know how much that hurt?" She asked as tears formed in her eyes but she wouldn't let them fall.

Elliot's heart broke. He couldn't stand to see her in pain like this, knowing that he was the cause of it. "I'm sorry, Liv. I'm so sorry. I didn't know what else to do. After the shooting, I went to a dark place. I got your messages but I knew that I wasn't in the right state of mind to talk to you so I had to ignore you. I know I shouldn't have done that to you but I couldn't let you see what happened to me. I couldn't get out of bed, I was drinking all day long. Kathy finally kicked me out after trying to help me through it for a few more years and it wasn't until Dickie almost died that I finally woke up and realized that it's not just about me. My kids still needed me." Elliot said, rambling.

Olivia was speechless. She had no idea that Elliot was so affected by the shooting or what happened to Dickie. But of course she didn't know because Elliot cut her out of his life. "Oh, my God." She finally replied. "I had no idea..." she trailed off.

"I know you didn't. That's why I don't blame you for being mad. You have every right to be." Elliot responded softly, sipping his coffee.

"If you had just told me, I could've helped you and Dickie." Olivia said, shaking her head. "How did it happen?"