Beginnings

published: 16/02/21 | words: 1600 | status: unedited

a/n I am writing this on my phone so I apologise for terrible grammar or typos - well fudge me - I thought I'd lost this save but here it is jeez, temperamental much.

Anyway hope you enjoy this it took me a while to write but hey have fun ! - Ro xx

┌─────────────────┐

-ˋˏBeginningsˎˊ-

└─────────────────┘

From the beginning Lyra had always been fascinated by the stars and their endless wonders. The nights sky never failed to make her mundane life that much brighter. And so it was nights when the world became all too much for her, that she would curl under a dozen blankets, under the willow tree in the back of her garden and gaze longingly with awe at the splashes of light dotted through the sky, beacons of hope reminding people like her, the lost, that there is always hope in the light if only you know where to look.

It was a night like this in which she sat below her tree, contemplating her life choices as you do. Honestly, it was a typical Thursday night for Lyra but it brought a sense of routine and order to the chaos that her mind would surely fall into contemplating such things.

On this night, her mind decided to ponder how she had gotten here, oh how she regretted it and yet she couldn't envision herself following any other path than the one she had taken. Perhaps she was just selfish.

But now she was alone. So terribly alone. What's worse is that she was never truly alone or at peace but always left alone with her thoughts. The most dangerous way to be.

Now it would be quite impossible for me to give an accurate description of the true horrors of one Lyra Winters' thoughts, creating wounds sewn deeply into the core of who she is. Yet perhaps this could be of insight, Lyra Winters had chosen that name for herself, she had felt at the time of choosing that it represented who she was on a fundamental level or in her own words, it represented her as it was such a 'mood'.

She had chosen the name 'Lyra' after the stars to which not only she hoped she would see once again in all their glory but also that their message of hope and light, a guide if you will, could help others like her. She wished she could help others like her, in such desperate need of help yet so unwelcoming of it.

Her chosen surname of 'Winters' after the season. She could see herself within the cold harshness of the air, nipping at those who dare come near. The long dead leaves littering the floor, the leftovers of autumn decaying so obviously there yet ignored and trampled over by all other things, tossed by the wind further and further away until the concept of home could simply be an illusion, a trick of the mind to lessen the pain. Or much simply put by her she just feels 'dead inside'.

That's who she was Lyra Winters, a young yet ancient woman looking to be barely 20, cold towards the world and yet a deep yearning to help those like her. She wanted to help those like her.

She wanted to help. That's all she ever wanted.

Help.

She needed help. She knew she needed help. She been pleading with the stars for centuries now, never aging yet always growing older.