The Idiot's Lantern - Part 3

published: 10/06/21 | words: 3640 | status: unedited

┌─────────────────┐

-ˋˏIdiot's Lantern - 3ˎˊ-

└─────────────────┘

Tommy led the trio of concerned faces through the house and up the stairs until he came to a closed door and he looked to the others nervously before knocking.

"Gran? It's Tommy." He said with his side to the door, hand on the handle. "It's alright, Gran. I've brought help."

His hand flexed on the handle before opening the door and reaching for the light switch.

The room, which was previously shrouded darkness, the curtains tightly drawn (although that wouldn't have mattered as the light outside was gone, replaced by the darkness of the night), was illuminated wickedly and the harsh light reflected of almost all surfaces. Stood near the middle of the room was an old lady, only obvious by the person's stature as well as the grey and white which surrounded their face. Their face which was completely blank. Not just of emotion but of a physical face, it was like someone had used nail varnish to remove the painted face on the doll leaving behind the base with no features.

Frowns situated themselves in all parties. Contemplative frowns.

"Her face is completely gone." The Doctor stated moving towards her and unpocketing his sonic screwdriver.

To say Noah was in shock would have been an understatement. He was very unready for what he saw, it was jarring. Yes, he had seen a few aliens before as well as cybermen but there was something about seeing a human in such an unnatural situation that completely threw him off kilter. He didn't want to be rude, but it was utterly creeping him out. In his state of shock, he somehow managed to zone out of the conversation, although he did have a collection of unanswered questions. Why was it that whenever you get one question answered you end up with a million more?

The sound of the front door being broken down was what brought Noah back out of his own mind and into the bizarre real world.

"We've got company." Rose said from the curtains next to him, somehow, he'd moved from the door to the other side of the room.

"It's them." Rita looked at them wildly, panic setting in. "They've come for her!"

"Quickly. What was she doing before this happened?" The Doctor turned rapidly away from the faceless grandmother and to Rita and her son. "Where was she? Tell me. Quickly, think!"

Whilst the Doctor directed his attention to the two standing nearest to him, Noah had his attached to Mr Connolly. The man's face seemed unsurprised, almost as though he expected this to happen. Noah's line of sight was followed, and Rose watched the scene unfold for a moment with him before catching his eye and the two shared a worried glance.

"I can't think!" Tommy exclaimed in his own panic whilst his mother had blanched just like he was doing. "She doesn't leave the house! She was just-"

But the young boy didn't have the chance to finish his sentence as two men dressed in black suits like men in black- they dealt with aliens right, so Noah guessed it was fitting- burst into the room. It would have been comical if it weren't so serious. The Doctor moved in from of them holding his hands in an expressive way whilst also effectively blocking the room from them.