Age of Steel - Part 3

published: 19/03/21 | words: 2300 | status: unedited

┌─────────────────┐

-ˋˏAge of Steel - 3ˎˊ-

└─────────────────┘

The Doctor and Lyra were marched into an open room with an abundance of bulky looking computer stations and several Cybermen stood guard around the three other people stood dejectedly in the middle of it all.

"We've been captured, but don't worry," The Doctor said looking at Lyra before looking at the others his voice laced with sarcasm. "Rose, Noah, and Pete are still out there. They can rescue us. Oh well, never mind."

"You okay?" He asked looking at Rose who he had moved towards whilst Lyra had walked over to Noah giving him the once over to check he hadn't lost a limb yet although he seemed to be doing the same.

"Yeah, but they got Jackie." Rose told him.

"We were too late." Pete told the others mournfully as Noah put a hand on his shoulder in support. "Lumic killed her."

"Where is he then, infamous Lumic?" Lyra asked to the world the Doctor nodding along with her question.

"Yes, don't we get the chance to meet our Lord and Master?" The Doctor challenged them building off of Lyra's point.

Without missing a beat one of the Cybermen replied. "He has been upgraded."

"But is it really an upgrade though? I guess it depends on your viewpoint." Lyra questioned and then answered herself out loud.

"It looks to me like a downgrade personally, Whisp." Noah commented the use of the seemingly bizarre nickname not unnoticed.

"So, he's just like you?" The Doctor asked.

"He is superior. The Lumic Unit has been designated Cyber Controller." It informed them before a door opened revealing a monstrous concoction of wires and Cyberman in what looked like an upgraded wheelchair.

"This is The Age of Steel and I am its creator." What must have been the upgraded Lumic told them.

It was but a moment later that the echoes of screams flooded the control room. The screams of the people no longer walking in like cattle but running for their lives.

"That's my friends at work." The Doctor said proudly a small smile on his face. "I think that's a vote for free will." He winked making a clicking sound with his mouth.

"I have factories waiting in seven continents. If the ear pods have failed, then the Cybermen will take humanity by force." Lumic told them. "London has fallen. So shall the world."

"Classic villain complex." Noah muttered between coughs. "Isn't even original."

One of the cameras in the room started blinking with its red light signalling that someone was watching and Lyra smirked having seen it and having more than an inkling as to who it was. The second camera in the far corner of the room, however remained unnoticed blinking in a constant orange light.