Inky Fingers

published: 22/10/21 | words: 3160 | status: unedited

┌─────────────────┐

-ˋˏInky Fingersˎˊ-

└─────────────────┘

No one else seemed to notice the rapid stomps approaching them, they only noticed after the gruff man spoke. From where Lyra and the idiots stood they couldn't see the owner of the gruff voice; the two women were standing at the junction of two corridors, the idiots down one side and the voice down the other. For all Lyra knew it could just be a disembodied voice. Unlikely but with the expanse of the universe and endless parallel possibilities it wasn't impossible. Nothing was impossible.

"Meadows wants to know what on Kolia is holding you two up?" The gruff voice spoke, Lyra would have assumed the voice of a man.

The two women swivelled around to look at the man, the blonde with an unphased expression which provided a great contrast with her companion whose face was the definition of deer in the headlights.

The sandy blonde gestured to the intruders and after a few seconds, a greying man rounded the corner doing a double-take at the unknown people.

"Oh, right." The man's demeanour switched to defensive. " And how did you get here?"

The man watched on for a few moments as it looked like the Doctor was going to go on a ramble about it but was chopped off at the roots as the man sighed. "Never mind, it's not me you'll have to explain yourselves to."

"Don't worry, he's all bark and no bite." The taller of the two women told them, pushing her headband up from her forehead.

"Adams," The taller woman, Adams snapped her head to look at the shorter man as he continued to speak,  "Stop, they're the enemy."

An incredulous look passed over Adams' face for a moment before the man started talking again.

"Nolan, get on with the job." He instructed.

"Right." The blonde nodded, moving to go past the gang. Adams moved with her waving to them as she went.

"No, don't be friendly to them," The man reiterated as Adams turned back to look at him, "They could be spies!"

"Why would they be spies?" Adams asked, it sounded like a genuine question to Noah, "Moreover, who would want to spy here?"

Adams didn't get her answer as, with an eye roll from her companion (not directed at her, every living thing - and probably the inanimate objects as well - could tell you that) she was pulled along past the intruders, Nolan intertwining their fingers.

"Hgh," The man scoffed, "They think they are so subtle."

°.✩┈┈∘*┈┈*∘┈┈✩.° 

The man walked them through the corridors, ignoring any attempts that they made to talk to him. Although it didn't really matter much as it didn't take them long before they entered their first room.

Lyra could see boxes of equipment stacked up and grouped around desks that littered the room. There were four in total although the room could easily fit another two at the far right of the room- which se7emed to be the back of the room as they had entered through a side entrance. At the front of the room, to their left, was a large computer, on which many files were open and analytics were being run. In front of the screen was a dual desk where a woman stood typing away at the keyboard pausing every now and then to check different statistics which she pulled up onto the big screen. Her long red hair was pulled tightly back into a low ponytail and Lyra could only just see the frames of glasses poking out from behind her ears. The redhead turned to look at a second screen, allowing Lyra to confirm that this person did in fact have glasses - and she looked good in them, maybe she'd look half decent in glasses... or maybe not.