11

Amaias

Lind grins. "Gods' holy blessing upon you, child."

I close my eyes. I should've known I wouldn't be able to outrun him.

"May flame's blessing being upon you," I nod back.

He cocks his head. "You learned a greeting. Well done."

My breathing shifts as he gets closer. Why does he always get closer?

"T-thank you, High Priest."

"Lind is fine. We're both concubines after all."

Oh no. He stretches his hand out, touching my head. Do something, Amaias! Tell him to back off!

"Uh...I have to go—"

"No, you don't. Sit down," he orders with a small, deadly smile. I swallow roughly, but I do as he says.

"Are you missing her Majesty?"

I nod. "I always miss Mistress when she's not here. But she had to go, so..."

He closes in, towering over me. I look down, the ends of his silver hair in my vision. I know I shouldn't cower. Mistress says I reflect her and I should show strength.

But...but he's really too scary!

My eyes start stinging. My guards look away.

"Why are you crying child?"
"I'm not crying...I'm laughing!"
He chuckles. "You're laughing?"
I nod.

He bends down next to me, raising my chin to meet his eyes. I put my lips in my mouth looking away.

He wipes my cheek. "Calm down. I won't bully you today."

He's bullying me right now! I wish he'd just go away! I don't like him!

"You should never hold anger, or hatred in your great around a High Priest," he states sternly. "We sense it. And all High Priests are not as...loyal to the crown."

What does that mean? Is the church of Light...bad? Do they want to hurt the Mistress?

"Don't be scared. I'm just telling you. Close your eyes."

I squeeze them shut. He chuckles.

"Now, make your mind blank. We have the gift to heal both body, mind, and soul. Therefore, we must sense where pain is hiding. So erase your mind. Empty yourself."

Empty? Like before. That's easy. I'll just be a slave again. I'm nothing. Open yourself up, what happens, happen. Just float away.

"Now open them,"

His eyes shine, searching, but dismayed. "That was rather quick. Concerning really. You're aquatinted with being empty."

Yes, I am. Of course, I am. I'm nothing but a tool. An item. An object to be used and thrown away. What object has feeling? What object, once casts aside, has value?

Lind brushes my cheek. "Alright. This is how you should be to other High Priests. Not me. Go on. You can stop."

Stop?

He grips my chin. "Amaias?"

He clenched his jaw. "Her Majesty will return soon. Don't show such a sad expression to her, understood?"

I nod, smiling.

He sighs, standing. "It seems I've done something I shouldn't have. I see. I'll heal you then."

What does he mean? I'm not hurt? I'm not anything. Is he gonna do something weird to me?

Lind takes my hand, grabbing me and yanking me out of the seat. I stand, stumbling a bit. through the haze that is nothing, I see him bend down toward me.

His lips touch mine softly, cutting through the haze, making me jump back.

"Did you just...?"

"Heal you? Yes. You're quite welcome, child." He looks away, with a shrug. "It is my duty as the high priest. May the Flames grant your spirit peace."

"Isn't that? Mistress said that's a kiss!" I touch my lips. "You...you can't kiss me! I belong to the Mistress. She will kill me. Or worse...she'll get rid of me."

My eyes prickle. It's over. I'm going to be discarded again.

"She won't. And..." he clenched his jaw. "It's fine. Her Majesty has quite perverted interests. Besides, we are brothers in marriage; which means..."

He paused. "Anyway, it's not wrong. I'm the High Priest, I know all the laws."

"What if you're lying! Or bullying me again! You're always so mean to me. You just want to get rid of me,"

He sighs. He touches my head. "I just healed you. That's all. Calm yourself. Go about your way and rest today."

Rest? He expects me to rest? mistress will slash my neck for this I just know she will.

My heart eases, and I feel calm for a moment. Wait...

"Are you doing that?" I ask him.

He shrugs. "It's just habit. Stop worrying around me. You're making me anxious. Return to your chambers."

I run away, but I can't help but feel...

I don't know. I just want Mistress to come back. And I don't want to see Lind for a long time.