4

Amaias

I follow the white-haired man out of my Mistress' office. He's a little scary to me. Besides, I don't really know my way around here.

"Where are you from?" He demands.

I blink. "I-I don't know."

He scoffs. "Right. Because you're just a means for the Empress to keep me from power."

"Huh? No, my Mistress—"

He stops turning around. "This room, go on in...First Consort."

I walk in. I wonder what he means. Does he want to take power from my Mistress? That means he's a bad guy right? I should tell her—

"Who are you really?"

The door makes a clicking sound. Like the lock on my cage. The large room suddenly shrinks. He stands in front of the door, his red eyes glowing.

"I'm just...the Mistress' consort," I say.

The teachers said not to mention I'm a slave to anyone else. But I want to leave this room. I can't breathe.

He stalks toward me. "Really? You appear out of nowhere, directly in my way. She lets you hang off her like some kind of pet—"

I step back. "I—"

"I've known the Empress my whole life. She doesn't let anyone even touch her. How dare you!"

I want to leave. He traps me in front of a desk. He narrows his eyes.

"And these features...green eyes...red hair. You aren't from the capital. You're not part of the territories at all. Those are eastern features."

He grabs a strand of my hair making me flinch away.

He smirks. "My senior? You could never be anything but a lap dog. Do you understand?"

I nod but I'm not sure what all this means.

I don't know why he's so mean. I thought he was pretty. Then again...pretty people always hurt you the most.

"Good," he whispers. He's so close to me. The room is suffocating. My skin is on fire. I want to leave.

"Have you...had skinship with the Empress?" He asks.

I cock my head. "Yes." My mistress touches me all the time. Our skin touches often. I like it.

He grits his teeth.

"She just couldn't wait to get her hands on you, huh? Not that I blame her," his hand lifts to my face. I rear back, feeling the wood cut into my skin.

He smiles, cupping my cheek.

"M-mistress told me no other women can't touch me," I explain.

He chuckles. "Interesting. My hair is long, but I am a man. Would you like to check...first consort?"

I shake my head.

He laughs a little louder. "Relax. I'm not really interested in men. Though you do look more like a girl than anything."

"I am also a man," I huff.

He rolls his eyes, sighing. "I thought you were a threat. But you're just a little pup aren't you?"

I swallow.

He doesn't move but relaxes. "You'll have to get stronger to survive the Palace. And the empress. She may be nice to you now, but that's because she desires you. That may change."

Is that...true? Is the mistress only nice to me because she wants to mate with me?

"Don't look so sad," he murmured. "You'll get eaten alive if you show emotions on your face. You may be the first consort, but you won't be the last. Besides, I've heard the Empress has...peculiar tastes."

I don't know what that means...

Lind chuckles. "I heard she likes when her men...like each other. Do you understand now?"

Like each other? As in, getting along?

I cock my head. "Well...we get along, right?"

He blinks. His eyes narrow a little, and he smiles. "Yes. Amias we will get along very well for her majesty."

I smile. "Oh, I'm glad! Please teach me everything I need to know to please my mistress."

He looks down. "Sure."