13

Ryuk rubs my shoulders, Amais at my feet and Lind at her side.  Today is the induction of the Emperor of the West into my harem. He's pleased, of course. An engagement that's what we agreed. Still the formalities of him meeting his superiors within the harem.

"Frost," I greet him.

He looks at my assortment of men. "A high priest, a slave, an assassin, and an Emperor. This is the beginning of a bad joke."

"That makes you the punchline," I smirk.

He scoffs, looking away. "Right you are, your majesty."

Frost's dark, short hair is slicked back as he glanced upon their faces in dismay

Lind, ever the slick talker, stands and smiles. "May the flames grant your soul peace, and the God's blessing upon you," he smiles, holding his hand out.

Frost looks down at it. "High Priest Lind. Our priests are forbidden from being members of the royal court. Conflict of interest you know."

Lind grins. "Our royal family is viewed as the God's liaison. It only makes sense our priest serve the gods to fullest in...all capacities."

Frost looks past him at me. "He's a slick talker, Tiana. I would watch him."

Lind narrows his eyes but keeps his smile.

How many times have I told him not to call me that? And in front of everyone. Ryuk clears his throat. Ryuk has been with me since before I was Empress. He knows of that forgotten name.

"You would do well to remember your manners," Ryuk admonishes him.

Frost smirks. "I am an emperor. You would do well to remember your place."

I raise my hand indicating silence.

Frost is obstinate. We hold the same standing, so he feels entitled to the same respect as I have. Perhaps he is entitled to it.

In his country.

Here is he is just another concubine. Not that I'll be able to convince him of that. I won't waste my time. He'll figure it out sooner or later.

"I've sent my envoys with ice for the season, Tiana."

"Address me properly, Frost."

He smirks. "Yes. I've sent my envoys with ice for the first season...wife."

Insolent little asshole. Frost smirks at me that haughty smirk. He approaches me. I will give him his dues. He's a handsome man. His dark hair is striking against his pale skin. They don't get much warmth in the north, it's always cold, the sun hiding itself.

His eyes are blue and striking. His shoulders were broad, body was chiseled from years of brutal training to take the throne. He's smart, as well though he doesn't always act it. His pecs are beautiful. But he's devious and he thinks he knows me.

A dangerous assumption.

"Emperor Frost, I know you're not used to a hierarchy. Or rather one you're not on top of," I smile. "But you're not at the top here. Your position as emperor is nothing more than an asset. To me."

Frost looks at me. His eyes spark with defiance.

"Come here, Emperor Frost."

I open my hand. He smirks, coming closer, resting his face in my hand.

Amaias shifts. Ryuk tenses at my shoulders. Lind watches him with murderous intent. He's been here one day, and already there's an uproar in the harem. He's pleased with himself. He knows his title has caused the harem to fall into chaos.

He finds it humorous.

"Yes, Empress?"
"What do you think your purpose is?"

He pauses for a moment. "Would you like the diplomatic answer or the real answer?"

Ryuk swears behind me under his breath. I can feel Limd exuding holy power. Amaias is cowering, afraid my anger will be vented on him.

"I am a god. You owe me the truth."

He smiles. "My purpose is to be a liaison of the gods here on earth in my role as emperor. My purpose within your harem is to be the one man who is equal standing, that you cannot control."

"Emperor Frost such talk is treasonous!" Ryuk crows behind me.

"Will you allow it, Your Majesty?" Frost asks softly.

I nod. "I will. Because you are wrong." I smile leaning in.

"Your purpose is to give me royal children of two royal houses. Your purpose is to please me. Have I helped rectify your incorrect assessment of your duties?"

Frost narrows his eyes. He wants to rebel. To fight me. But he smiles, his eyes seething in anger

"Yes your majesty. I have understood it well."