17

Ryuk

Her Majesty sends us to the temple with her to meet that snake of a Priest. We go for appearances. Every month or so the Empress and her consorts go to the temple, to show good faith. To show unity between church and state.

Unity between the gods and the priesthood. It's important, it keeps the land intact.

Her Majesty has been going by herself until now. I follow behind her and her...harem. I've been contemplating requesting to join the harem.

I could be useful. I head the Military guard, after all, the highest ranking of the military.  Except for the Empress herself, of course. Then again, if she tells me no, my heart may burst where I stand.

Not to mention I don't think I want Lind's grubby hands on me. I cannot stand him. The temple is grand. White marble walls and floors, columns holding up the ceiling etched with stained glass depicting the epics of the gods.

Beautiful marble statues of the gods adorn the columns, along with previous emperors and Empresses of note.

Including...

Her eyes shift to the statue as she passes it. Her eyes close. The fountain of liquid gold is in the middle of the temple.

Shows prosperity.  I think it shows waste. But no one asked my opinion so I'll keep it to myself. Lind walks out and I stray away.

I cannot stand him. Nevertheless, if he's here I can relax. He's stronger than he looks, despite his girlish appearance

I stray toward the fountain. It is beautiful. And because it is liquid gold it is too hot for humans to touch.

It reminds me of her.

It's not real gold. Too hot even for the south to have a fountain of real gold. But most people don't know that and that's all that matters.

"You have an interesting future, young man," an older woman wrapped in black cloth smiles her eyes closed, by the fountain.

There are seers, or so the church of Light claims. Then again; the Church of Light claims many things. I smile and pass by her.

"Would you like to know it?"

That makes me pause. "You can see the future?"

She nods. Well, I could entertain her then.

"Then there's one thing I'd like to know," I stray toward her, sitting next to her by the fountain. Her face and hands are a mass of wrinkles.

She looks wise, but perhaps she's just old. I look away.

"About...her." The Seer says certainly.

I raise my brows. Don't be suckered in. Of course, she knows it's a woman I'm here. It makes sense. It's a logical guess. She's probably seen it before anyway.

"Her Majesty and I...do I ever join her harem? Do we become close? Am I...making the right choice?"

The woman smiles softly. "You're going to love her."

And then I smile back.

"You're going to love her until the day you die."

I look over her face. Her eyes open, revealing emptiness. I stand.

"I suppose that's...all I need to know isn't it."

"Ryuk," Her majesty calls for me. I follow her, glancing back at the fountain.

The woman is gone, but the vague foreboding of her words remains, trapped inside me. I follow her, as I always do, as I always will, out of the forsaken temple and into the bustling city streets.

Her Majesty veils her face, walk in front of her collection of men. Lind and Amias whisper to one another, seemingly sharing some great secret. They must be allying themselves together. There grown quite chummy as of late.

I stalk up begin the two quietly listening to the conversation between them.

"I'm feeling unwell," Amais frowns, touching his stomach. "Her Majesty will need tending to tonight."

"Unwell," Lind echoes, lowering his voice. "Of what sickness do you suffer? I can cure you," he leans over, but Amais pushes his face and ducks away. "I worry I'll be acquainted with your divine gifts if I encounter them so often."

Lind shrugs.

It seems Her Majesty is ignoring the conversation behind her, because she can surely hear them though they barely raise their voices above a whisper.

"I'm sure her majesty will give you some time if you just tell her the circumstances," Lind murmurs. They fall behind abbot.

Amais, holds his arm, and looks away. "Just...request her company. Please."

Lind looks over his face with a frown. "She wouldn't be upset. Her majesty can be cold, but she is not uncaring. I'll tell her—"

Amais stops and closes his eyes with a sigh. His bright red hair flitting in the wind behind him. He looks away, wincing with a frown. "It's easy for you to say that, Lind. You're lucky. You have a purpose. I..."

Line's eyes widened. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Her Majesty sighs. I look over at her. "You won't stop them your majesty?"

She shakes her head, her face covered from my sight. And yet, I know her so well, I know exactly the expression on her face. It is serene, even. Knowing.

"He's right," she says ever so softly with the wind. "Amais is right. Lind does not and cannot ever understand. But it is not my place to tell him that. So let them bicker. It needs to be said."

She continues walking, ignoring the discord around her. And as her guard, I mushy follow her lead, and allow them to fracture.

Lind reached out, their fragile alliance seeming to shatter in front of him. Amais pulls away.

"You're not like me, Lind. You have power. You have a place. You can afford to be sick, to take time, to not be ready. I can't. I am not like you. I am not lucky. I am a slave."

He tucks his head down, stalking away. Lind blinks but walks after him, glancing at him, waiting for him to say something, to bridge the gap between their tentative friendship. Amais is silent.

And so Lind resigns himself to the distance with a sigh, looking away. And the empress, god above all allows the mortals to be tested, as she always does, impartially, very rarely intervening. I can't help but think...perhaps for the relationships she fostering...if that method may not be the best.

But it's not my place to question the Empress. So I stay silent, silent discord wrapping around her party, the three of us, each with hearts full of something for her.

And she continues, face veiled, head held high. I remind myself that though I know her better than most, I am amount the mortal, of those to be tested. But for my beloved Empress, I will gladly be tested. I'd beg for it.