A story that needs titling, but I want you to read it and tell me what you think

Chapter 1

How, how could this be happening?  All I had been doing was sleeping in the park, and the next thing I knew was that I woke up and noticed the sky was an ominous black.  It wasn’t gray just black, obsidian would be a good way to describe this kind of black.  I heard a loud screech it sounded like a cat that was dying.  Instead of running away from the noise I ran towards it.  Stupid idea I know, but it was literally the only sound that I heard.  It was like I had gone deaf; all I heard was my breathing.  I ran and ran until I came to an intersection.  I waited to see if there would be any other sound that could possibly point me in the direction of some sort of life.  There, I heard it.  This time it wasn’t so much a screech as I thought it had been, it was actually a cry someone had given out.  I hadn’t realized it but I had actually ended up back at my house.  The screech I thought I had heard had been my mother crying out in pain.  The only way I could’ve possibly known it was pain was that there was some sort of creature standing over her lifeless body.

“Oh my god.” I whispered.  Sadly that seemed to have been the worst thing I could’ve done, because as soon as I uttered those words, what must’ve killed my mother appeared in my line of vision.  I started running again.  I ran upstairs.  I know what you’re probably thinking.  ‘Why in the world would she do that?  It’s like one of those dumb ass chicks in horror films.’  Well let me tell you, I always thought that if I ever came to a situation like this I wouldn’t do what those dumb ass chicks in horror films would do, but what I never accounted for was the fact that going up the stairs and possibly cornering myself would be the only chance I had of possibly continuing to live. 

I ran into my parents room to see if my dad still had his gun where I knew he used to keep it, but what I saw when I entered definitely wasn’t what I was looking for.  My dad was laying on the bed in his room.  He appeared to be sleeping, but the bloody gaping hole in his chest suggested otherwise.  I held back my scream.

“Oh my god.” I whispered again.  “What the heck is going on?”  I had stopped in the doorway before I had entered so I turned on my heel as fast as I could.  Next stop my room.  Why was this happening?  What had happened after I fell asleep?  It’s like the apocalypse had happened in the short time that I had been sleeping?  Thinking about that made me scared of my next question.  How long had I actually been asleep?  I reached my room and threw the door open to reveal…a perfectly neat bedroom?  I took a cautious step into the room.  As I stepped farther and farther into the room I saw a small shivering body under the blanket that I had been too lazy to put back on my bed on the floor.  As I stepped closer to check out what it was it froze.  I noticed a sock covered foot sticking out of one of the ends of the blanket, “Jackson?” My little brother popped out of the blanket and ran into my arms, tears stained his face.

“What’s going on?” he asked.  I wish I knew so I could hopefully help him to calm down, but then again as I thought back to the creature that killed mom and dad I didn’t really think that would help him very much.  I shrugged sighing, “I wish I knew bud.”  I looked around the room and my eyes landed on the door.  There was a large tree that could possibly be an escape route for us.  I ran over to the window and tried to get it open.  Sadly I never opened the window much so it took longer to open it then I would have liked.  As I turned around I couldn’t help but scream in the doorway was one of the creatures that had killed my mom and dad.  I couldn’t tell if it was the same one that had been downstairs, they all looked the same.  With their skeletal like body that appeared to have a thin layer of skin stretched over it, their large black beady eyes, and their horrifying yet somehow beautiful large black wings that matched the color of the sky.

“Jackson, start climbing down the tree I promise I’ll be right behind you.” I told my little brother.  He didn’t have to be told twice, he started climbing down the tree.  I looked around my room to see if there was anything that could possibly help me to at least somewhat injure the creature so I could give myself and Jackson some more time to get away.  I finally laid my eyes on my bowling ball bag.  My family and I used to have a bowling night once a month; I almost started crying as I realized that those days wouldn’t ever happen again.  I didn’t have much time; I took the bowling ball out of the bag and threw it as hard as I could.  It hit the creature, but didn’t seem to have much effect on it, at the most all it did was slightly daze it.  That was all I needed though to make my escape.  I started climbing down the tree.