Chapter 25: Forgotten Memories

The sun peeked from the grey clouds, shining coldly down on the city. Y/N lay bruised and battered before Qrow, the latter twirling his weapon around casually.

"... You didn't dodge when I told you to. You completely neglected the sniper function. And lastly, all of your attacks were telegraphed. It's almost like I never taught you," Qrow said. Y/N used Crescent Rose to rise to his feet, leaning heavily on the weapon. Training with Qrow was a different experience than it was with Ozpin; the drunkard was much more strict, and didn't hold anything back.

"... My bad..." Y/N muttered. His uncle seemed disatistfied with his answer.

"Training with a scythe isn't easy. Scythes are the most dangerous weapon; therefore they're the hardest to learn. It's nothing like that katana you used. But you're improving, I'll tell you that much." He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "As much as I hate to beat you down like this, it's necessary for you to be prepared in the future. You understand, right, kiddo?"

Y/N nodded. "Yeah. You're just trying to teach me as quickly as you can. It's as you said: we could lose someone else if I don't learn. These bruises, they're worth it if I can save somebody else."

Qrow grinned. "Glad you understand. Go get some rest. Pretty sure Yang was looking for you earlier." His grin grew. "Besides, Sasha wanted to treat me to a local bar. I might be able to fix my relationship with my wife."

Y/N laughed. "Or she just wants to beat you up again." He laughed louder when Qrow slumped, a depressed look on his face.

Y/N left his uncle in the training yard, making his way back inside the Capitol building.

It had been an entire day since he agreed to give his blood for testing. During that day, he did nothing but trained with Qrow, learning how to use his sister's scythe. The weather was still horribly cold, and a few times Y/N wished he was back in the miserable heat of Vacuo. His footsteps echoed in the empty halls; the military students were in classes. The only signs of life was the occasional soldier marching past. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his scroll, selecting Yang's contact icon. It rang, but she didn't pick up. She must be busy, was Y/N's thoughts. He stopped in front of a door, Verde's door. He could hear voices. He knocked twice before entering. Verde was sitting in front of her easel, the painting from before almost finished. Next to her was Yang, who seemed engaged in a conversation. When she saw Y/N, she waved.

"Hi, Y/N! Verde was teaching me to paint!" Now that Y/N looked, she had paint covering her jeans. Mixtures of every color in the rainbow, Yang was a mess. He just shook his head, a small smile crossing his lips.

"I see that. You down for some lunch?" He offered. Yang nodded, standing up.

"Yeah. You want to come, Verde?"

The quiet artist shook her head. "No. I wanted to finish my piece," she replied. Despite Yang's protests, she turned her attention back to the easel, dipping her brush in a shade of green. Yang sulked, but quickly picked up her own canvas, a bright smile on her face.

"Y/N, what do you think of my painting?" She asked. Y/N took one look at it and almost laughed out loud. The painting was terrible. The colors had blended where they shouldn't have, leaving large splotches of dark brown.

"... I am a very honest man, you know that, right?" He asked. Yang nodded, eager for his approval. Y/N's face changed into a shit-eating grin. "That's awful."

Yang's face fell and she punched him in the arm. "I tried my hardest! Don't bully me!" She cried. Y/N's grin grew.

"The only bullying here is that painting. That poor, poor paper." He laughed as Yang kept playfully punching his arm, before leaving to go get changed. That left Y/N alone with Verde, something he was still uncomfortable with. From her personality, he could probably get away with not speaking at all. But he wasn't the quiet type. "... So," he said after a while. Verde didn't turn around, absorbed in her activity. "Nice weather, huh?"