25. Melatonin

It was weird how things could switch so easily.

Ushijima had been sleeping by Tendou's side for a few days with no problem at all. The previous week he'd barely slept but now he was able to take naps and adjusted things so he could sleep.

Tendou on the other hand couldn't. It wasn't obvious at first. Ushijima would wake up to Tendou awake and working on his lap top. That was normal. But he was never asleep when Ushijima woke up.

It could be the dead of night and Ushijima would wake up to Tendou seated in front of Flip's tank or wide awake, rubbing his hair.

That was… odd. But it was alright. Tendou was a bit odd.

When off at dance practice Sugawara would catch Tendou yawning and rubbing his eyes, or just plain out spacing out.

"Tendou…?"

Tendou turned and grinned. "Suga!"

"Um hi. Hello. Are you alright?"

"Yep."

"Are you sure? You look exhausted."

"I'm fine Suga. Just insomnia again."

"Uh huh…" Sugawara looked at Tendou's bag. "Oh my God stop drinking those it's bad for you!"

Tendou glanced down at the two monster cans.

"Tendou!"

"You smoke."

"I literally haven't smoked in two months shut your fucking trap."Sygawara picked both of the can up. "I'm throwing these away."

"You owe me twenty bucks!"

"Fine!" Suga came back over and plopped down. "You should be glad this is the end of practice today or you wouldn't be dancing."

"Sure mama bear. Now. Time to go visit our partners." Tendou hopped up and Suga followed him.

"You should take it easy."

"I'm the laziest person alive man."

"Well no."

Tendou shrugged. He walked to his usual place in the bar and plopped down. Ushijima walked over with water. "Hello Satori."

"Hi Ushy!"

Ushijima furrowed his brows. Tendou's eyes had such dark circles under them. "Are you okay?"

"Yep."

"Just because I can't read people very well doesn't mean I'm an idiot. You look exhausted." Ushijima leaned over the counter. "Did you sleep any last night?"

"Um… well…"

"Well what? Did you sleep?"

"No. Well I think I did for a while. But then I woke up and it was like seven thirty in the morning."

"That's not good." Ushijima got Tendou into the back room and laid him down on the couch. He covered him up in his jacket. "I have a few minutes."

Tendou sighed. "Alright."

Ushijima rubbed his hair and cheek gently. "We should take another bath tonight. It'll help lower your body temperature for you to sleep." Ushijima kissed his forehead.

Tendou chuckled. He reached up and rubbed Ushijima's cheek. What beautiful eyes.

"If not I'll get you to sleep while you're here and take you home."

Tendou hummed. "Good luck with that."

Ushijima leaned forward and hugged him. He rubbed his hair and back. "I've got you though… it'll be okay if you sleep. It's okay." Ushijima kissed his jaw. "Mm… are you alright?"

Tendou nodded. He took a deep breath.

Ushijima kept a hold of him. "Sometimes at night when you fall asleep first, I play with your hands. They're always a bit cold but they feel nice." Ushijima shifted. "I love your hands."

Tendou hummed before almost laughing at a sudden thought.

Ushijima kissed his jaw again.

"Oh look I'm getting drowsy…"

Ushijima smiled faintly. "Good."

After a few minutes Tendou was relaxed. Ushijima looked at him. Tendou was fast asleep, holding Ushijima's arm. Ushijima eased up and kissed his temple. Tendou startled back awake. "Ugh…"

Ushijima blinked. "Satori. Do you take medicine to sleep?"

"Nope."

"Alright. Hang on." Ushijima left the room and when he came back he reached into a purse somewhere over in the corner. He pulled out a bottle of what looked like vitamins before going to Tendou with two tablets. "Take this."

"What's that?"

"I asked one of the waitresses for melatonin from her bag. I want you to take these by chewing them."

"I dunno Bub…"

"Please try. It worries me seeing you not taking care of yourself."

Tendou took them. "Fine."

"Thank you. I have to go back to work, okay? I'll be back."

"Mkay." Ushijima turned to leave. "Wait! Gimme a kiss silly!"

Ushijima leaned back down and kissed him carefully before walking off again.

Tendou snuggled into Ushijima's jacket. He smiled. "I might just love him…"

****

Ushijima hefted Tendou up out of his car, internally hoping the red head wouldn't wake up too much. He went into his apartment and put Tendou into bed.

Tendou yawned and snuggled into the blankets.

Ushijima felt the red head's chest for a moment, making sure he was okay. Tendou's heart beat felt a little fast but he seemed okay. Ushijima changed quickly and ate a cup of soup while sitting next to Tendou.

He didn't want to wake him up so Tendou could have his rest. Tendou needed sleep.

"Mm… Waka…" Tendou came closer to Ushijima, latching onto him.

"Hello." Ushijima whispered. He rubbed Tendou's hair and cheek carefully. "Mm… you're awfully comfortable."

Tendou coughed. Ushijima laid next to him and held him close. Okay there was more of a thump in Tendou's chest. It was odd. Ushijima put his head on Tendou's chest to start listening to Tendou's breathing.

Wait. Tendou was usually calm when he was asleep. Why was he breathing so heavy?

Ushijima rubbed Tendou's back.

Tendou sniffed.

"Satori?"

The crying started up soon after. This was the second time he'd cried in his sleep.

Ushijima woke him up. "Satori?"

Tendou sat up, seemingly very panicked. "Yeah? What is it?"

"You were crying again…" Ushijima held his face gently. "Deep breaths."

Tendou coughed. He clung to Ushijima, shaking.

"Is this a panic attack?"

Tendou gulped. "I-It can't. I took my meds."

"Sometimes people's medication doesn't block the panic attacks but deters them. Do you think you're having a panic attack?"

"I-I don't… I don't know Ushy I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Ushijima kissed Tendou's forehead. He held him, gentle but very firm. Tendou was rocked back and forth, starting to calm down. "There we go…" He picked up his own safety blanket. He wrapped Tendou in the blanket and returned to holding him and rocked him. "It's okay…"

Please look in my conversations on my page 🙃