Author's Note / Explanations

Hi there! If you don't know me from one of my other works on here, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Holly, a nerd, and a Simp™. My other stuff includes Maze Runner and Loki mainly, but I did a Treasure Planet fic as well. Feel free to jump over to my profile and check those out if that sounds like something you're into, and why not hit that follow button while you're at it? 👀

Anyways, that's enough self-promo. I've divided this note into sections purely for my own benefit (it was a bit hard to keep track of what I wrote and what I didn't), but let's get into this! If you know how I operate already, feel free to skip ahead a bit and I'll get into a bit of an explanation about some things in this story, if not, read on! 

Update in case you missed it in the description: this is now on both AO3 (@hollybell51) and tumblr (@hollybell51) in a much more refined version, different tense and narrative voice and everything. It's a million times better in every single way, plot, characters, writing, literally everything. Please consider going and checking those out, it'd mean a lot to me.

My writing/style

I never leave a fic unfinished. Ever. Mostly I write them all up first on a Word document, then publish the chapters one by one so that you guys get regular updates and all that fun shiz, but sometimes I get ahead of myself or completely forget a fic exists and it'll sit half-done for a few weeks or *gasp* months. That's my fault, and I'm sorry, I try not to but things happen sometimes. 

I use italics (like this) for dreams, memories, and emphasis on words/phrases in sentences, and I use bold (like this) for Author's Notes within chapters (usually at the top or bottom, but I sometimes give a bit of commentary on my own writing too). I use asterixis (*like this*) if there's a time skip or POV change, and sometimes in Author's Notes to express myself more. 

Plot/lore/timeline

I couldn't find a specific timeline for Rise of the Guardians, so I kind of just guessed that part. (Y/N) is supposed to be about 16-17 (similar age to Jack) but has been a Guardian/magic person for a bit longer.  

(Y/N) is Cupid! This means she has powers over love, different types of love included (eg. familial love, platonic love, romantic love, and lust/desire as well). I think that's mentioned a few times in the story as well. However, I thought I'd take the idea of a Cupid!Reader and run with it a bit, so (Y/N) is what I'm calling a dyad. 

Now, I couldn't find a specific figure to represent hatred in Greco-Roman mythology, but the closest I got was with Eris, or Discordia as she's also known. Because Cupid is the Roman form of Eros, the Greek deity of erotic love, I figured I could take a few liberties and use the Greek name for Eris and the Roman name for Cupid, since being Eris-Eros or Cupid-Discordia doesn't have the same ring to it. Don't come for me, ok!

I also draw, and I was brainstorming how I'd interpret the whole Cupid thing the other day, so I came up with the concept art in the header for this chapter. Obviously, (Y/N) is you, so she looks however you look, but that's the basic gist of it clothing/accessories wise. I tried to be as inclusive as I could because I know that people of all different appearances are on here, but obviously I couldn't include a drawing of every single person who is ever going to read this. That's impossible. I just wanted to get the idea that she's all gold-y and light. 

Also, I think I refer to the way (Y/N) moves as "phasing" "jumping" and "disappearing and reappearing" a few times. Basically, she moves around by teleporting from place to place really fast, I sort of envisioned it as how Loki does with his illusions in that bifrost scene from the first Thor movie. Idk, I thought it was cool. 

I guess all round (Y/N) is probably (physically) closer to a kind of fairy than an angle, at least a classical angel, but yeah... She glows or lights up I guess when she's happy/using a lot of her "power" which I think I also mention a few times. Jeez, I really have to find a better word than "also" lmao

Maturity rating/content warning

This story is rated mature for drug use/references and quite a bit of swearing. If that's not your thing, don't read it, but if you're fine with that stuff then go right ahead. Because (Y/N) is somewhat unstable as a character, I wanted to give her a sort of vulnerability that reflects where she is in her life and what kind struggles she goes through etc. It'll make more sense later, but I didn't just whack it in like "ooh dugs! yay! cool!" cause like... just no. Ew. I guess you could rate this M, maybe MA15, and yeah I know Rise of the Guardians is a kid's movie, but this is fanfiction. I do what I want. 

Shout-out

I just wanna also mention @OneArtsyGamer03 who also wrote a Cupid!Reader fanfic, and is the reason I'm doing this in the first place. It's a great story, and I love how they did it (especially with the multiple perspectives) so please go check theirs out! It's called "I See You (Jack Frost x Cupid! Reader)" and is definitely worth the read. 

Um... that's about all I think, so without further ado, onwards!