Fifteen

This one's a bit short (actually it's very short, just under 600 words), sorry about that! However, the next one is much longer so I guess it all evens out. :)

*(Y/N)'s POV*

"We should get out of here," I finally whisper, slightly breathless.

"Yeah," Jack agrees, his face still inches from mine. He removes his hands from around my waist, standing up and reaching down a hand to help me. I take it, passing him the pieces of his staff as I stand.

"Recon you can fix this?" I ask, absently placing Baby Tooth back on my shoulder.

"Maybe, I dunno." He takes it from me, fitting the broken edges together and frowning at them. "Are you sure your neck's alright?"

"Yeah, it'll be fine." I ignore the huskiness of my voice, gingerly rubbing at the ring of bruises.

"Ok," Jack says, concentrating hard on his staff. He grunts, then lets go of the pieces, sighing in defeat.

On my shoulder, Baby Tooth squeaks encouragement.

"I am trying," he mutters, pushing the pieces back together again, his face screwed up in concentration. For a moment, nothing happens. Then there's a crackling sound and a spark of pale blue from the join, the light gradually winding its way around the break in the pieces until it fades practically to nothing, leaving a line of pale frost for a scar.

"Woah," I breathe, staring at it.

Jack laughs, looking from me to the staff and back again. "We are so out of here!" He holds out a hand to me, already readying himself to leap into the sky.

"Oh no," I smile, "my way's faster." I place an arm firmly around his waist, ignoring his protest as we jump to the top of the crevasse, barely pausing for breath before leaping several kilometres forward.

It only takes a few minutes to get to Tooth Palace. I stop just outside, readying my bow and arrow in case of Pitch. Beside me, Jack doubles over, groaning. His usually pale face is even paler than normal, and his skin has a slight greenish tinge to it.

"Oh my God..." he whispers, leaning heavily on his staff.

"Are you alright?" I ask, one eye on the now dark greyish building before us.

"No, I feel like we left my stomach back in that crack."

"You'll get used to it," I say, stepping forwards toward the palace. "Now come on."

Inside, everything is as dark and grey as outside, massive cages full of fairies hanging from the ceiling. As we approach, they all chitter and press themselves up against the walls, their tiny faces hopeful, but also scared.

"It's alright," I say, jumping up to beside Jack and holding onto the wire, "we're gonna get you out."

"Yeah," Jack adds, "it'll be ok." He swings open the door, leaning back to let them out. "Come on, let's go!"

They all stand there, watching us, some squeaking or twittering.

"What's the matter?" I ask, frowning at them.

"None of you can fly," Jack breathes, then turns to look down below us.

I follow his gaze, staring in horror at the globe on the ground. The tiny lights are blinking out rapidly, almost like a tide of darkness sweeping over the world.

"They're all going out," Jack mutters, swooping down to the ground. I join him, staring at the remaining twinkles.

"Only six left," I whisper. Before my eyes, even those are disappearing, until there's only one tiny glow left on the map. It's in America, Pennsylvania I think.

"Jamie," Jack gasps. "Come on, let's go." Before I can say anything else, he grabs me around the waist and jumps into the air, whooshing out of the tooth palace and towards Jamie's house.