Fourteen

*Jack's POV*

I stare down at the little box in my hands. Everything about who I was before is in here, all the answers I've been looking for. I wonder what I'll find.

"Here we go," I mutter, running a finger down the middle of the pattern on the top. It lights up, spiralling into thousands of crystal pieces, and it's like I'm being enveloped by them.

I'm hanging from the top of a tree, the faces of a few other kids swooping in and out of my field of vision as I swing backwards and forwards.

"Jack, get down from there!" a girl laughs, and the picture dissolves.

This time I'm standing in front of the same kids, holding two branches up to my head and watching the shadow play on the wall in front of me. The heat of a fire warms my back.

"You're funny, Jack!" a little kid says, giggling as I stomp around.

Again it fades into another scene, this time I'm heading out the door of a house, a girl with brown hair and ice skates clutched in her hand pulling me along.

"Be careful!" a woman calls from behind me.

I turn, laughing as the girl pulls on my hand. "We will!"

Next, I'm crouched on a pond, the same little girl frozen in place opposite me.

"It's ok," I tell her, edging closer, "don't look down. Just look at me, ok?"

"Jack, I'm scared." She says, her legs trembling. Beneath her feet, a crack spreads on the ice.

"I know, I know," I tell her, taking a step forwards. The ice creaks under me. "You're gonna be alright, you're not gonna fall in. Uh..." I think, then an idea occurs. "We're gonna have a little fun instead!"

"No, we're not!" she cries, looking from me to the cracks at her feet.

"Would I trick you?"

"Yes! You always play tricks!"

I laugh, taking another step forwards. "Alright, well not this time. I promise, you're gonna be fine. You have to believe in me."

The girl sighs, but doesn't look back at the ice.

"You wanna play a game?" I ask, "we're gonna play hopscotch! Like we play every day. It's as easy as one," I step forwards again, "two," to my left, "three!" Now I can reach the wooden staff lying on the ice beside me.

The girl laughs, and I smile at her.

"Now it's your turn," I say, picking up the staff. "Ready? One..."

She steps forwards, gasping as the ice cracks.

"Two..."

Again, she moves towards me.

"Three!" I reach quickly with the hooked end of my staff, grabbing her around the waist and swinging her around behind me to safety. She lands on her stomach, but she's safe now and that's all that matters.

I stand up, smiling at her as she gets to her feet. Then the ice cracks beneath me, and I think I hear her shout my name, but I'm freezing cold and it's dark, and all I can see is the moon above me. It's huge, and so close I swear I could touch it.

I gasp, jerked back to the present.

"Woah, woah!" (Y/N) says, steadying me. "Are you alright?"