Thirteen

*(Y/N)'s POV*

I wander among the children and their parents, desperately trying to find any eggs. It's impossible, they have to be here. We made so many, they were supposed to be everywhere.

"There aren't any eggs," a boy says, walking sadly past me with an empty basket.

"There's nothing here," a little girl adds.

"I give up," someone else says.

"Maybe he just hid them really well this year?" a little girl sitting on a bench says to her friend.

"I checked everywhere," her friend says, "there's nothing."

"Yes there is!" Bunny calls, hopping out from his hiding place and holding out a basket to them. "These aren't my best lookin' googies, but they'll do in a pinch!"

"I can't believe it," the little girl says, sliding off her bench and towards her friend.

"I know," Bunny grins, holding out the egg.

"There's no such thing as the Easter Bunny."

"What?" he asks, staring at her as she turns away. "No, wrong! Not true, I'm right in front of you mate!"

"Why wouldn't he come?" a kid asks, trudging away. He passes right through Bunny, the familiar pale blue shimmer and whooshing sound accompanying him.

"They don't see me," Bunny pants, realisation replacing the shock on his face. "They don't see me."

"Hey," I rest my hand on his shoulder as he sinks to the ground, patting it gently.

"He went right through me," he whispers, patting his chest with a hand. "Right through me, (Y/N)."

"Yeah, I know."

"No, you don't get it!" he looks up, then stops, staring at me.

"I do, actually. I get it pretty damn well."

He's stopped from replying a shout from behind us.

"Jack!" North calls. "Where were you?"

I turn, jumping to where he stands, looking around in disbelief.

"The nightmares attacked the tunnels," North continues quietly. "They smashed every egg, crushed every basket. Nothing made it to the surface."

"Jack!" Tooth says, coming up beside him. She gasps when she sees his hand, and I crane to get a better look. He's clutching two of the hexagonal gold prisms, tooth boxes.

"Jack..." I say softly. "Where did you get those?"

"Where's Baby Tooth?" Tooth asks, frantic now. "Jack, what have you done?"

"That is why you were not here?" North queries. "You were with Pitch?"

"Jack..." I lay a hand on his arm, searching his face. Please, please let this not be what I think it is. He wouldn't do that, he couldn't. Not Jack.

"Listen, listen!" he says. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen!"

"He has to go." Bunny steps up behind us, his face set.

"What?"

"We should never have trusted you!" He raises a fist, and Jack stumbles backwards. "Easter is... new beginnings, new life," Bunny continues, lowering his hand. "Easter's about hope, and now it's gone." He turns away, his ears drooping.

Jack just stands there, staring at the other Guardians. He turns to me, but I can't meet his eyes. He nods, then something drops from his hand onto the grass. North's tiny wooden baby. There's a whoosh, then he's gone.