Nineteen/Epilogue

*(Y/N)'s POV*

"So," Jack says, swinging his staff as he walks along the powerlines towards me. "Keeping your word?"

"Yep," I say, not taking my eyes off the sleeping child just visible through the window below me. I tap the joint in my hand, watching the ash fall to the ground below me.

"It's only been a week," Jack points out, "I'm sure he's doing fine."

"Yeah, but I wanted to see for myself, you know?" I take another drag, blowing the cloud out into the air in front of me.

Jack sighs, jumping over me to the side of the powerline closest to Jamie's house. "You're sure I can't convince you to stop using those damn things?"

I look at the blunt in my hand, then at him. "I thought about it," I shrug.

"And?"

"And you make a good point." I get up, wobbling slightly as I cross the wire to Jamie's roof.

"Wait, seriously?" Jack asks, following me.

"Yeah," I say, "I was waiting for you."

"(Y/N) are you playing a joke on me?"

"Nope, I'm serious." I pause for a moment, thinking my next words through carefully. "I was remembering what you said, about how when I kissed you when I was high on ecstasy that it didn't mean anything, and you're wrong. It did mean something, because when I'm high I don't have my own logic to stop me doing stuff. And then I was thinking that if that's the case, then I probably would wanna remember that kinda thing, right?"

"Right..." he says, still unsure.

"So," I continue, "I decided that I can do things without logically thinking them through without the assistance of drugs, but if I use drugs then I don't get to remember them. I won't get withdrawals because I'm not physically dependent on any of them, so it'll be easy enough to stop. And I have you now, too." I stop, smiling at him.

He nods. "That's... that's solid reasoning."

"Anyway, come help me with this." I reach out a hand, jumping to the street below as soon as he takes it.

"Don't do that!" he protests, stumbling.

"Sorry," I laugh, fishing in my pocket. I pull out a bag of three rolled marijuana joints, a packet of ecstasy, and another packet of cocaine powder.

"That's all?" he asks, eyeing the collection in my hand.

I turn my body sideways, pulling my pocket inside out to show him.

"Ok, how're you gonna get rid of them?"

"I'm just gonna shove them down the side of this dumpster," I shrug.

"What if someone finds them?"

I shrug again, emptying the packets into the bin and shuffling some of the rubbish around to hide the contents. "Nobody in their right mind would take something they found in a dumpster."

"True." He nods, then smiles at me.

"Happy?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"Very. Now I can kiss you and you won't taste like horse shit."

"I don't taste like mmf—!" I'm cut off by his lips on mine, but I'm not complaining. I rest my hands on his shoulders, stepping closer to him as his places his staff against the wall, his hands sliding down my sides to settle on my hips.

"I love you," he whispers, his cool breath on my skin sending shivers down my spine.

"I know, I love you too."