The Runestone Heist

Blitz

I looked over at Hearth's face, pale with hints of green on his nervous but excited face.

It was near midnight in the abandoned girl's bathroom on the second floor and we were just waiting for Harry to get here. As if he'd heard my thoughts, a few seconds later Harry came through the door with a piece of parchment in one hand, pulling his invisibility cloak out from beneath his robes with the other.

"What's that?" Magnus asked, pointing at the paper as Harry checked the hallway before shutting the door. He glanced nervously at the parchment, then at us; as if debating whether or not to say anything.

"It's a map. Of the school," he said slowly and vaguely, tapping it with his wand before stuffing it into his robes.

Magnus raised an eyebrow at him then shook her head and said, "Well whatever. Will the cloak cover all five of us?" Harry studied us, then shook his head.

"No. Maybe me and Blitz? Sorry, but you two are kind of tall." Harry said awkwardly to Magnus and Hearth. Hearth had been reading his lips so he nodded walked over to Magnus.

He pulled out a rune and held it ready in one hand. I was guessing it could shield them from anyone we happened to run into.

When Harry pointed at the stone questioningly, Hearth simply signed Magic. I repeated the message and Harry just nodded as if this explained everything.

Alex (she/her) was supposed to come but she got caught painting Snape wearing a pink dress in the halls by the man himself (it was going to happen eventually) and is now serving detention. I hope we get to see her tomorrow before her probable death at the hands of that greasy-haired Professor.

Suddenly a loud wail broke through our hushed conversation. I covered my ears and looked behind me to find a shimmering white ghost of a girl, floating above one of the stalls.

"Murtle! Shh it's the middle of the night!" Harry said quickly, trying to calm the girl down.

"Oh don't shush me!" she continued, just as loudly. "Just because I'm dead doesn't mean I don't have feelings! You five shouldn't be in here right now, disrupting my peaceful sleep. Why don't you just explode my toilet for all I care. After all, no one even likes pitiful, moaning Murtle."

Then she promptly broke into hysterical sobs, and I could hear water being splashed out of the toilets and onto the ground as she dove into one. You could still faintly hear her wailing from the pipes.

"Wow. That was..." Apparently, Mangus couldn't find the words to finish his sentence. Harry sighed.

"Yeah. She's always like that. That was pretty calm for her actually. But if we're going we should go now." We nodded, shaking off our confusion as I climbed under the cloak (amazing fabric, I'll have to look into it). Hearth used the rune although I don't think Harry was looking, since seconds later the space where he and Magnus had been standing was empty.

"Uh, are you guys still there?" he asked in a whisper.

"Yup. Now go already." Magnus answered from somewhere in front of us.

We opened the creaky door, carefully checking for anyone who might have heard Murtle's screaming. We made our way down the eerily quiet halls, the shadows from Harry's wand keeping my eyes alert. I thought I heard the stairs creak at some point, but it must have been my jumpy nerves.

Five minutes later, we were sneaking down the hall. At one point I heard Magnus from somewhere beside me mutter under his breath, "No, Jack. You are not exactly what I'd call sneaky you'd get us all caught. And you can't eat so stop asking for bagels." I stifled a snort as we continued to walk through the quiet school.