Fred is great. Also Phill

TJ

We had been taking turns with Annabeth's invisibility cap, sneaking down to the dungeons every night to look for the mirror. Luna and Draco tried helping, but Draco only knew the school rumors and not an exact place.

Alex had gotten tired of Hermione's little game, so she 'accidentally' set her extra scrolls on fire in Charms, and they burned to ashes before anyone realized what was happening. Hermione, by request of Professor Flitwick (and because she felt guilty), lent her some extra paper from hr bag.

It was my night, and I had just gotten my foot stuck in the stupid trick staircase when Professor McGonagall came around the corner and started walking down.

Oh crap. Razey Ratbags! Crap, crap, crap. I curse in my mind as I silently try to pull my boot free from the stair with no success. Thank the gods for magic invisibility caps.

McGonagall stops a few stairs above me and looks around. I breathe normally but quietly, knowing that holding my breath will only make things worse.

She finally comes across the broken stair and sighs, she pulls out her wand and waves it at the hole, making the wood fly together again. I manage to get my foot out before she notices and back quietly against the railing. She keeps going, the tip of her wand still glowing ominously.

I'm not worried she'll see me, but rather my shadow. The cap is genius, but the shadow from nowhere bought me a lot of weird looks from the paintings on the walls.

When I finally get to the dungeons, I start my usual routine. But unlike most nights, I find an interesting room.

It was full of shelves, all stocked with the oddest assortment of things. Old brooms and pans were scattered across the floor, deflated quaffles and wooden scraps here and there.

It was like when you put all the toys and things you forgot about years ago in the basement or attic and only find them you move out.

I sift through some things, most of which are actual rubbish, but I find something that catches my eye. It's a dirty glass shard.
But for a moment, I thought I saw...

I picked it up, examining it more closely. I yelp and drop it when an old blue eye appears in it.

I look around, seeing no one. I look back at the glass on the floor. There's no eye.
That was weird.

I continue looking through stuff until I find a few mirrors stacked against one wall. They each have different frames, some fancy, some plain, some big or long or small.

The one at the back though doesn't show me as I am now. It shows me, standing in my usual uniform, holding my bayonet proudly over one shoulder. I smiled, I missed the familiar weight of the gun, the security of knowing I could use it at any time.

Then the image shimmered, like ripples on a lake, and someone appeared. It was my mother, smiling at me proudly in the mirror the way she always did. She put a hand on my head and ruffled my curly hair, resting her chin on my shoulder since she was about a foot shorter than me.

I finally tore my eyes away, focusing them on the inscription. Not that I didn't love my mother, but she was dead. She had been for a long time, and I had gotten over it.

No point in reopening that wound. Also, if it showed me my mother, it may be the mirror we've been looking for.

I studied it, ignoring the smiling image of my mother. It was just an image. A distraction.

I knew for a fact that I could never find this room again. It was a complete accident, and accidents like these don't happen twice. I could levitate it up, although that wouldn't be the stealthiest.