17

"Lyla, honey, can you wake up for me? It's time to go home?"

I turned my head in Ms. Diane's shirt, not ready to wake up.

She pulled the blanket off me and brushed the hair away from my face. "Lyla, Alex is here."

I forced my eyes opened and rubbed my eyes as I turned to see Alex walk over. He had my shoes and coat in his hands.

I felt relieved that he came for me. I didn't like him much and I would never forgive him for ruining my life. But considering I couldn't take care of myself anymore, I needed someone and that was Alex.

"Are you ready to go?"

I nodded. I stuck my right foot out so he could put my shoe on.

"Lyla had some trouble falling asleep this afternoon." Ms. Diane said.

Alex looked up at me as he tied the laces. "Were you giving her any trouble?"

I shook my head but stayed silent.

"Did she tell you she was nervous about coming today?"

"She said she was worried about not making any friends."

Ms. Diane squeezed my shoulder. "She was worried you wouldn't come back to pick her up. We had a long talk but I think you two should talk as well."

Alex looked up at me and held my gaze. "Alright."

I got to my feet and took my jacket from him. It was a purple rain jacket.

"Do you need your diaper changed?"

I shook my head as I slid my arms through the jacket. I let him zip it up for me before I wrapped my arms around my bunny and held it to my chest.

We left the classroom in silence. I was anxious the entire time we walked down the hallway. I kept thinking I was in trouble for what I was feeling. I never wanted to be yelled at for my feelings. And, even though I didn't like Alex, I still needed to know there was someone that cared about me.

Alex pushed the doors open and stepped out into the cool air. He continued the silent treatment as we walked down the sidewalk and to his car. Instead of opening my door, he opened the passenger door and lifted me up onto the seat. He didn't buckle me in but shut the door. I watched as he walked over to his side of the car and got in.

I stared down at my feet, avoiding the conversation that I knew we needed to have. I needed to have it with myself, too, but that would take time.

"Diane said you were worried I wasn't going to pick you up."

I nodded.

"Why?"

"That would've been the best time to get rid of me. If you don't come back for me, someone has to take me with them. Then I become their problem."

His voice got quiet and I could feel his eyes on me. "Do you really think I'd do that?"

"I don't know you as well as I thought. And I know I'm not easy to deal with. I figured you'd want your space back."

"I could have kept my distance and let Kelsey and Robert take you in but I didn't. It was my idea to bring you back to my apartment."

"Why do you care so much about me?" I asked, more aggressively than I intended.

"At one point, I liked you, Lyla. More than I should ever admit. And I realized how wrong it was because I was lying to you about everything. I can't make things right but I can try to make you hate me less."

My cheeks blushed and I stared out my window as a mother walked her child to their car. The child looked around five or so years old and had a stuffed bear tucked in his arm. I sighed before I spoke. "You're not doing this for me. You're doing this for you. To make you feel better."

"That's not true, Lyla."

"It is. If you really wanted to help me, you'd get me out of this place. You'd leave and never come back."

"I can't do that."

I rolled my eyes. "Of course not. You have a 'duty' to this place."

"It's not just that. I don't know how to survive in the outside world. I wasn't brought up that way. I was a baby for eighteen years."

It was slowly making sense. That had to be why so many people stayed in Alpine. I wasn't sure how the adults even had jobs if they had no skills but surely there was some way of teaching them how to function. The teachers had to know something in order to keep us kids from killing each other. The town couldn't survive with everyone being idiots.

"How did you even learn how to do your job? It's all... lab stuff and science and... You don't just pick that up."

"We try to help people learn basic skills after they 'grow up.' We've made a good effort at helping people get jobs and keeping the town running."

"And no one ever wants to leave?"

"Like I said, people understand that they can't survive outside of Alpine."

"So they're trapped."

"People chose to be here. Your parents chose to be here."

I shook my head. "Don't bring them into this."

"I'm sorry that things are so complicated. But you don't have to worry about it. That's why we like kids staying young and innocent."

"And stupid." I mumbled.

He chuckled and looked out his window.

I turned to him, pulling my legs under me. I sat my bunny in my lap. "Did you know Megan was in my class?"

His head turned in my direction quicker than normal, giving him away immediately. "Megan?"

I didn't know for sure that it was her but his reaction told me I was right. I nodded once. 

He looked at me for a few seconds before he lowered his gaze. "I did. I asked that you be put into her class. Even though she doesn't remember her old self, I figured you might like knowing someone... in your situation."

"Why didn't you do that to me?"

"Do what?"

"Make me forget."

"Like I said, I care about you. I didn't want to hurt you. Just... ruin your life, as you call it."

---

I hope this gave some explanation as to why Alex is the way he is and how Alpine functions. It doesn't answer everything but we'll get to that soon. Also, the previous chapter and the beginning of this one were my favorite Diane/Lyla moments.

Thanks for reading! Follow me if you haven't already so you get notified on when I upload!