26

Alex was reading a book with his feet propped up on his desk when I woke up. The lights were off in his office but a small lamp was lit in the corner, keeping the office from being pitch black.

I pushed myself up onto my knees and rubbed my eyes. My bunny was smushed against the back of the couch while my bear was laying on its side at the foot end.

"I thought you were going to sleep all night."

I looked over at him, not expecting him to be awake. Then again, there was nowhere else to sleep in his office.

He smiled at how tired I looked. My hair was a tangled mess and I was moving slowly. My muscles were sore from not moving for so long. "Do you want to head home?"

I nodded. I hated the thought of being there through the night. It was scary enough during the day.

He put his feet on the floor and closed his book up. He set it on the desk then got to his feet. He pulled his jacket on before he walked over to me. "Do you need changed?"

I did but I didn't want to stay any longer than absolutely necessary. "It can wait until we get home."

He watched me for a few seconds, knowing what I was doing, but he didn't argue. He picked my shoes up off the floor then slipped them on my feet.

I grabbed my bunny before standing. Then I grabbed my bear and followed Alex from his office.

The hallways were dark with only a few lights on the ceilings to light the way. It was eerie and made me feel like I was in a scary movie.

I heard a door shut behind us and I picked up the pace to catch up to Alex. "Alex?"

"What?"

"Can you carry me?"

He stopped walking and looked down at me. "You can't walk?"

I looked behind me where I'd heard the door shut. I didn't want to admit what I was feeling but I also didn't want Alex to think I was lazy or something. "I'm scared."

I fully expected him to laugh at me or tell me I was being stupid but he didn't. He lifted me onto his hip and helped me manage holding both my bunny and bear.

I laid my head on his shoulder as we walked through the empty lobby and out into the parking lot. It was cold outside and snowflakes were falling from the sky.

"Isn't thanksgiving coming up?" I asked quietly as he opened the door of his car for me.

He set bear and bunny on the seat beside me. "It's in a few days, why?"

"Are you seeing family or anything?"

He shrugged. "I doubt it. My family isn't really big on holidays."

I stuck my arms through the straps of my car seat as he buckled me in. "Do you think we could do something?"

He looked up at me. "You and me?"

I nodded.

"I think we can figure something out. I guess that means I'll have to plan something for Christmas, too."

My eyes widened. If I hadn't said anything, I had a feeling, a strong one, that he would have forgotten about Christmas altogether. "Uh, duh. If I have to be a stupid kid, I at least want a bunch of presents for my trouble."

He laughed. "You're tough, Lyla."

"I'm not asking for that much. I mean, it's the least you can do."

He lifted the pacifier that was dangling off my sweatshirt and stuck it in my mouth. "You better be on your best behavior until then."