Chapter Sixteen

I have to do this. It's not like I haven't before - and yes, it went badly, but I can handle being humiliated and yelled at again. Or not. If there's even a slight chance I can tell Sadie about Alex and find out more, maybe even fix things between us - I'll take it.

It beats standing in the hallway like a frail lamb amongst a herd of sheep. I scan all the faces before going to my locker. God knows when she'll get here. Hopefully soon. I don't want to have too much time to talk myself out of it. I open it up and pretend to look in it, shifting my eyes to the side every now and then to see if she walks through the door.

She is coming to school, right? What if she ditched? I pull out a few books and frown at them before putting them back in. She wouldn't ditch. She was the most preppy, punctual yet rebellious person I know. Or knew. To be fair, I've never really known her - as much as I'd like to.

My anxiety spikes. She's here. I can't help but stare as she glides through the front door, with an all too familiar person next to her. "No way." I murmur, the realisation dawning on me. Jace.

They're hand in hand, a scattering of people staring at them and parting way like it's some red carpet show. Something smoulders inside of me. I can't believe she'd get back with him again, I think as I slam my locker shut. I have no idea what happened between them last time, but he's nothing short of a dick. I force myself to avert my gaze as they walk past me, turning the corner. I can't deal with her and Jace. Not after...

"Jace and Sadie again? Never saw that one coming." Someone from a small group nearby remarks.

"Yeah, I don't know which one is the slut."

I clench my bag straps hard and start down the hallway.

"Definitely Sadie."

I stop, clenching my jaw. Who the fuck do they think they are? A part of me wants to turn around, tell them to shut up and mind their own business. I keep walking. I can't say much. My anger quickly dissolves into anxiety as I make my way around the corner. All I can think about is Jace grabbing my ass and the possibility of Sadie snapping at me.

Honestly, I don't know which one is more unbearable.

The moment I'm in the next hallway, I see them. Sadie is against her locker with Jace leaning into her, their lips moulding each other's slowly. Immediately, I look away, glad they haven't seen me yet. I wish she would, though. Gulping, I take a step forward. "Uh, Sadie, s-sorry," they both freeze, like they've been caught making out by a parent who doesn't approve of one of them. It'd be him, obviously. My heart quickens, and I can feel my flight mode kicking in. "Er, I just wanted to ask you something. About the assignment."

She frowns at me, though it's not as aggressive as I thought it'd be. "What about it?" she prompts, nudging Jace away, who slits his eyes at me. I try to ignore it. "I told you I'd do it."

Her eyes stab into mine, but all I can feel is Jace's presence. I swallow hard, starting to feel squeamish. "I-I know, I just..." I trail off as he looks directly at me, his expression unreadable. This was a horrible idea. "Can we talk? In private, please?"

Her brows furrow more, and then completely relax. She straightens up and adjusts her shoulder bag. "Whatever you say," she says, turning to Jace and giving him a peck on the cheek. "I'll be back for more later."

I can't help but cringe. I'm just glad I can't see her face as she says it - whether she means it or not. I hope not. Jace just nods and watches her as she walks towards me, keeping her gaze ahead. His wanders to me, and he winks, making a grabbing motion with his hand.