Epilogue

It's different here. The air is cool. The sun is out, basking the bustling town centre in a lively light. Which is warm against my skin. Even so, I shiver. At least I had the sense to bring all my winter clothes from home. My hands are burrowed into the pockets of my woollen gray coat. God, it's so cold. And busy. I scan the crowd, all the chatter mingling in my ears.

It's so clustered compared to my town - or, other town. My other one is like some gloomy, deserted town during an apocalypse. Or maybe post apocalypse.

Okay, I take in a quiet sip of air and adjust my bag straps. My knuckles ache from the cold. I need to find Nan. She said she'd meet me at the cafe. I start to walk, careful not to bump into anyone. But what cafe? There's like... three. All on the same side.

I pause in front of them, skimming over the billboards. Oh, wait, one of them's a coffee shop. I should've guessed with it's black sign and the words Sip and Snack. As well as the sickeningly sweet smell of coffee invading my nostrils. They probably have treats in there, though. It's called snack for a reason.

The thought makes my stomach rumble. I made sure to pack snacks for the ride here, or the two rides here, one a bus. But I'm still hungry. And leaving Dad as well as home makes my gut churn with anxiety. I pull out my phone from my jeans, which surprisingly has an actual pocket. Glad I dug through my wardrobe for like, the first time in centuries. I didn't want to run out of clothes, even though Nan would be more than happy to buy me some.

Quickly, I scroll through our texts. None of them say which cafe - only that it's a cafe. She must've told me on call. I look up at the two shops, one with dark rustic wood walls and plants, the other with Nesquik yellow and pink. It must be Bread and Butter Diner, I decide, sliding my phone back into my pocket. Which, ironically, their colour theme isn't exactly my bread and butter. But it's definitely my Nan's.

I head inside, the bell dinging merrily as I do. A few people seated at the pristine white tables and pastel coloured chairs glance over, but soon return to their meals. It's certainly an interesting theme, and they've somehow managed to pull it off. My eyes flicker around the room before falling to the glossy granola wooden floor. Where is she?

More people start to enter, except none of them are Nan. I step to the side, waiting, trying to stay out of everyone's way. I hope she gets here soon or -

"Hi there," comes a friendly voice. "Can I help you?"

I swivel my head to face a beaming brunette behind the counter. My heart feels like it's about to erupt in my chest. And my face goes hot like a volcano. "Uh, no, it's okay. I'm just waiting -"

"Jamie, dear!" Exclaims a chirpy voice from behind me.

I'd know that voice anywhere. "Nan!" I exclaim back, more with relief than excitement.

She scuttles over in her light pink floral dress that hugs her plump figure. "It's so good to see you!" she remarks, pulling me in for a tight, rib-crushing hug. "Oh, I've missed you so much. And your father. It's been so long. How are you, dear?" she gushes, pulling away to stare at my peeled open eyes, trying to take it all in.

I shake my head with a nervous smile. "I-I'm good," I reply, nodding now. "I missed you, too." God, I don't even know what to say. It has been so long.

Nan tilts her head, her wrinkled pink lips turning into an adoring grin. "Aw, you're too sweet, dear, and you've grown so much. You're so beautiful," she adds, giving my shoulder a squeeze. "You must be hungry and tired! Let's get something to eat, shall we? You'll be doing your barista course here, by the way." She tells me, nudging me forward and into the line.