07: VILLAIN

━━ "TOMMY, ARE WE THE BAD GUYS?"

Wilbur asked, turning around to face him

Wilbur asked, turning around to face him. Wilbur had thought about this for a while. If Schlatt was the president, justly elected in a democratic system, if all he was doing was making the changes he wanted.... what was so bad about it?

Why had Tommy and him automatically painted Schlatt as the villain in the story? Every time someone went against them, their response was to call them the villain, the bad guy, and revolt.

Was it possible they were in the wrong?

"Cause I mean.. we just kind of made ourselves the leaders and then we had a vote. And he won in a coalition government — which is completely legal — and now we're trying to overthrow them. It feels like we're the bad guys, Tommy. This doesn't feel correct."

Wilbur turns, proceeding to walk on through the forest. "Tommy, am I the villain in this story? Am I the villain in your history?"

"No," Tommy answered firmly.

"Why not?" Wilbur presses.

"Cause we started L'manberg and... we should've won that vote."

"But the people decided we shouldn't," Wilbur points out. "On the day they said they were going to make a coalition, our cockiness, our arrogance got ahead of us, and we allowed it. We said yes, coalition governments are allowed. And here we are trying to overthrow him."

Wilbur sighs, opening the door to their dirt home. "Tommy, I think we're the bad guys, but I want to say something to you. Okay, me and you, we both know we're right."

"Well, yeah, I'm always right so."

"Then let's be the bad guys!" Wilbur said, a sinister grin spreading across his face. "Tommy, what - why not? Look, our nations gone. Our nations far behind us Tommy, let's blow that motherfucker to smithereens. Let's blow the whole thing up."

Tommy steps back from his brother, "Wilbur, are you - are you thinking—"

"Tommy, I say if we can't have Manberg, no one, no one" Wilbur slams his hands down on the table in front of him, making Tommy jump. His heart slams against his chest, dread coursing through him. "—can have Manberg!"

Tommy shakes his head, "No, Wilbur I think—"

"I see this—"

"I think we can do this. I think we can take it back 'cause we—"

"I think this is an era," Wilbur shouted, completely cutting Tommy off. "I think this is a new area. We burn this place to the fucking ground! I want no crops to grow there. The entire place, I want it all gone."

Wilbur was realistic with himself, he let himself feel his emotions, and he let himself know the brutal truth. He didn't spare anyone from his wrath; why should he? He knew they didn't deserve it, but when Schlatt was elected he saw something.