11: MAYBE

━━ "WILBUR?" TOMMY ASKED SOFTLY,

but he knows he'll get no answer

Tubbo comes to stand beside him, a crater separating the two boys from their siblings.

"(Y/N)?"

Neither is sure what to do. Tommy just felt empty. He should be crying, mourning for his lost brother, but he knew Wilbur was gone long before this.

That still didn't change the fact that he watched him die in front of his eyes. Nothing could ever change that. Losing your brother was one thing, but losing the person who raised you, watching them die in front of your eyes after all the shit they put you through?

That was different.

But as they say, no crying till the war's done. Tommy has to look away, blinking harshly, as if to erase the image from his mind.

But then he sees something much worse, "No, stop! Stop now, Techno!"

That grabs your attention, and you look over Phil's shoulder to the commotion on the ground.

"You stay right over there, Tommy," Techno warns, crossbow in hand as he stands protectively in front of the soul sand tower.

Phil senses it too, and he lets go of you, looking to his eldest son in fear. You stay put on the floor, staring blankly at Wilbur's dead body. How much more did you have to lose today?

"No, stop!" Tommy cries, as everyone gasps.

Night had fallen upon them, torches illuminating the area where Techno stood.

"Tommy?" Techno asked.

"Yeah?"

Techno chuckles, "Do you think you're a hero? Is that what this is?"

"I just wanted..." Tommy trails off, looking at what was supposed to his home. What did he want? He didn't want to be a hero. He didn't care for that.

He wanted to prove himself to Wilbur; that's all he's ever wanted. "I just wanted L'manberg."

Tears pool in your eyes again. L'manberg was gone, and Techno was going to make sure of that. It didn't feel fair. Nothing in this world was fair. When did the pain end? When did the fighting stop? At this rate, you feared the answer was never. You watched Wilbur lose himself to this country, you watched Tommy pull away from his older brother, you watched your dad consume himself with alcohol, and you watched your little brother get blown up in your face. He still had scars to prove it.

"You wanted power," Techno corrects.

"I didn't, I just wanted—"

"Tommy you just did a coup. You just did a hostile government takeover and then immediately instilled yourself as president," Techno explained. "And then you gave it to your friend, but that's still a tyrant, Tommy."