22: REMEMBER

━━ "(Y/N)!"

 You smile, waving

You smile, waving. "Hey, guys."

"Took you long enough."

"Was starting to think you wouldn't make it."

You laugh, dropping your backpack on the porch. "Well, I couldn't turn down an offer like that."

Ranboo grins. "I'm really glad you made it."

Techno leans against his sword, tending to his polar bear. "Yeah, just in time for the warm weather."

You snort. "I'd hardly call this warm."

"It's an improvement from winter," Phil said, patting your shoulder.

"That," You said. "I don't doubt."

It was still cold, even for summer. The snow had melted, revealing the grass and flowers underneath it. The mountains, however, were still covered in snow. It was weirdly beautiful. It was a change of scenery compared to the questionable buildings of Dream's land. Here there was only Techno's cottage and the recently added homes of Phil and Ranboo.

You would be staying with Techno until your house was completed. You had yet to decide if it was temporary or permanent. You had a feeling this was a trip to just clear your head.

That's what you had told your brother. He was devastated when you said you were going away for a bit, but as Phil said, he understood. He just made you promise to check in with him every day. To which your reply was, 'You wouldn't care by the second day.'

Tubbo said you were right.

You didn't make the decision overnight, rather over many weeks. When Quackity left, you decided maybe it was time for you as well. Tubbo was staying with Tommy, and everyone else was radio silent.

It would be easier to stay somewhere that didn't have memories around every corner. Here, you didn't see a tree and remember how Dream had fallen asleep with you under one. You didn't see the L'manberg flag and remember the nights when Wilbur would sing the song as he sewed it together. Here, there was a fresh slate with no recollection of the past.

And yet, every time you walked around Techno or Phil's house there were pictures of Wilbur. Constants reminders of who he once was. It still stung a bit, but not as much. Your heart ached a bit every time you saw him. But that wound had healed, and you were moving on.

Dream leaving didn't really help either, but now at least you could have some peace. You still missed your home. You missed the laughter of Tommy and Tubbo, the dock by L'manberg, and well... everything. When you wanted to think, you would go to Wilbur's grave and just talk. It comforted you a bit. Maybe somewhere he was listening.

Here, there was nothing. You didn't have a place like that. You were grateful Techno had lent you his basement until your house was finished. It had been a bit awkward at first when Tommy's stuff was still there, but he quickly threw it all out without much of a thought.