17: QUACKITY

━━ "DO YOU TRUST ME?"

━━  "DO YOU TRUST ME?"

"Of course I do."

"Good."

He hands you a sword, purple netherite shimmering in the light; the enchantment light ripples through the metal, a showcase of power. The hilt is wrapped in leather, a single emerald embedded into it. It reminds you of his eyes. The edges of the sword are jagged, causing more damage when plunged in and out of someone. The tip is darker, the enchanted miss floating off of it in a green cloud.

"Dream," You breathe out, feeling the weight of the sword in your hand.

"Make me proud out there."

"You know I will," You said, throwing him a wink.

He nods, pushing his blond hair back. He watches as you practice with the new sword, cutting through the air and twisting it accordingly. The enchanted smoke follows your every move. You're graceful, never missing a beat, and never slipping. You turn around, flashing him a bright smile as you sheath your sword.

It makes his heart flutter, if only for a second before he swallows the feeling. Dream wasn't one to dwindle with romance. It simply wasn't for him, he learned that the hard way.

But here you were, defying the odds and making his blood rush and his heart pound, just like last time.

"Dre?" You called.

He blinks, flushing, but he blames it on the heat of the sun, even though it was winter. It was the way you said it. There was a softness to your voice, it rolled off your tongue so perfectly, and he could never understand how.

No one else called him that.

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

"Don't make me regret it."

"I won't. Have some faith."

"It's dangerous."

You roll your eyes. "I can take care of myself."

"I know you can, but this is... different."

You raise your eyebrows at him, "Aw, does Dream have a soft spot for me?"

Dream scoffs, "You wish. You're just as bad as the rest of them."

"I'd say worse."

"Agreed. You're terrible."

"Probably the worst person to walk this Earth."

"Yeah, I mean, even Sapnap doesn't compare."

Your phone pings and you don't have to check it to know who it is.

"I have to go."

Dream steps back, just noticing how close you were. "Okay."

...