If I Could, I Would....

They savored the look of trepidation crackling away the mask of happiness.

The slow rise of the curtains begin to suffocate.

The deafening sound of silence clothed the grand night filled with laughter and happiness.

The crowds crept closer, swarming their presence over broken pieces of perfect moments.

The veil of color carefully niched to shades of black and white.

The spotlights framed them in a perfect union.

The golden hour was beginning to fade away.

Her eyes framed onto his perfect smile, his gleaming eyes, his condescending demeanor taking bait in the midst of every known face.

She looked on hoping to defeat her mind, hoping to not be right but his single step back wrenched open her soaring heart.

An endless bound of possibilities laid before her, waiting to be wretched, waiting to be over.

He fell onto his knee, his hand outstretched with the gentle caress to hold on to her trembling hand.

Her heart stood frozen in a landmine of promises waiting to trampled, waiting to be scorched, waiting to be tainted & broken.

She saw no escape but she saw the way he didn't keep his eyes on her but on the faces that crowded their moment.

Her fingers maneuvered the beating flesh of his skin, a light tap around his wrist to proclaim her silent will but there was no turning back, her eyes slewed onto words of desperation but all he held onto was the beauty of the night, the federation of the onlookers, the cheers and happiness all around them.

In the midst of being found, she felt lost, with no hand to hold onto, with no heart to plead to, with no time to turn back to.

Her silenced hope wailed to be heard but the open box maimed her from being decadent.

The delicate stone felt cold against her lifeless form, the words ever so green, ever so perfect, fell intently deaf to her inconsolable heartless form.

The roars of marvel all around pitched to a dreadful silence, as she cracked open her tight lips with a word so barren, he dropped her hand and every bottle that popped in content fell to the floor with shards of glass all around them.

She walked out the crowded room, with deemed eyes willing to slander but all she saw was the open doors, waiting to enfold her in the midst of the glistening snow.

The light hearted footsteps kept its pace and effulged her shivering form with a woven jacket, the warmth and smell familiar and honest but the will to lookback lost forevermore.

He kept his space and opened the door, the silence on the drive down fell through, the shine of the stone peeked through the jacket and the tears that stayed stray, ran miles until a word so delicate cracked open a million reasons to remember all the times.

She felt remorse but all she could do was give him the escape he deserved, the one she couldn't stand true too, the one she was afraid to lose too.

The final crack to the dorm of every memory, every smile, every kiss, every family ever built, ruptured into a mirage of crestfallen words.

The storms finally wisped away their tales of forevermore, away from each other, away from their true happiness, away from everything that she truly robbed him from.

And the thought of him will always stay true and honest but the oath to bind their love, fleeted away forevermore in the arms of another.

But if she could, she would have been the one.

THE END.