Will we ever find peace and happiness?

"What's with the staring?"

She spuns out of her daze state and turns in her seat to look at her dear friend. "Just."

The lingering scoff catches her attention, "Oh Lord, I know exactly what that 'Just' sounds like. You know right, I'm not gonna let you finish this conversation with 'Just' as an answer."

"Well then you better start tying your ropes around me to bare my soul to you. It's going to be a long night anyway."

"I wonder whose to be blamed for that." She watched the cunning twist of her lips and the pointed look landing on her.

"Oh, why must you always blame me for the sins of having a good time, Chlo."

"Well, obviously I didn't expect our long-hauled meet after a dreadful year to be stuck on a town side cottage."

She laughed, the silent waves of the far-off beach audibly sighing along the wind.

"First off being overly dramatic and nonsensical is my department. So, what's the real reason you're really worked up about?"

"Honestly, I don't know. I mean I'm happy to be here, like really happy to be with my best friend but all these sudden situations are panicking me into override which is unlike me. Do you think we'll be able to go back home by the weekend, what if they curb more restrictions, you know how my parents are..."

"Calm down Chlo, let's pretend to be on a long slumber ass vacation." She said dragging Chloe to sit in the nearby lounge. "Besides I'm sure everyone is fine back home. Let's not try to spell out our fears okay."

"Fine then tell me what's with the 'Just'?" Chloe demanded.

She rolled her eyes and laid back on the lounge, her arm leisurely draped over her face. "Please let's continue talking about how shitty the idea of coming over here was." She mumbled.

Chloe pulled her arm away, "Nope, you're going to spell out your 'Just' before I start ramping you up with emotional blackmail."

She sighed, "You know you act like my mother at times."

"That's the reason we share the same birthday. Now wake your lazy ass up and start talking."

"Well, I guess this conversation just got too serious quiet quickly."

"You think." Chloe raised her brows.

"Yeah obviously, you using ass in a sentence is trouble enough for me to surrender." She tries to hold back her laughter but the moment the showers of the pillows reigned upon her; she couldn't help but grunt her way through.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry. I was kidding."

"Stop being an evasive prick and tell me."

"You-"

"No more jokes or sarcasm over me using bad words. Now start talking."

She nodded.

"If I'm being truly honest there's nothing to talk about but Yes, I have been distracted."

Chloe leans against the tree shading their lounge. The beautiful hue of the nightfall captures the sky, every little sound grows ten folds in the dead of the night. She watches the last rays of the sun hideaway as the darkness takes form.

"I think you should get married." She stood and walked around the makeshift garden, the lights around the property came on one after another.

"Huh!"