prologue.

00

PROLOGUE

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Wind howling, waves clashing; just another Narnian storm. The winds came up in constant shoves to rock the boat back and forth harshly, much like it had been for weeks on end. In fact, the ship was beginning to rot more and more in the weeks of storms and the Captain and crew were unsure how much it could take. 

The ship was already too old when they commandeered it from rebel gangs, that was their first mistake. Mistake number two was not seeking land on the first night of the Great Storms.

"Steady the ship!" the Captain called as a large wave came in her sight to the left of the ship.

As the wave rocked the ship harshly, many crewmen lost their footing and rolled to the right until they hit posts, barrels or their fellow crew. It wasn't long until each member was back on their feet, or hooves, and went right back to work as if nothing had happened.

Suddenly, the howl of wood on wood broke out below their feet. The ship was going to give way under the weight of the waves. They couldn't let that happen. It was a death wish being stuck in the open water during a storm as great as the one brewing above.

"The Hangmen's Revenge can't take another wave! She's breaking under the pressure," Carver shouted over to his Captain who seemed to be in the middle of a brawl with the wheel. "Kate!"

She looked over, hair dancing in the harsh winds and hat knocked askew as one hand was trying to hold it in place. She couldn't lose the crew, the ship and the hat. It was the only thing she had left of her mother.

"Carver!" Kathryn shouted as her hand went from her hat to point at the wave, the largest one they had ever seen, came up above them. The wind took the black pirates hat, her ocean blue eyes following it as it was swallowed under the waves.

But then it hit.

The ship was fully submerged for what felt like an eternity, but what was in reality a few seconds, but those few seconds took much more of a toll than thought as all the wooden foundation, the mast, the sails, the cabins and everything else on the ship was completely destroyed by the sea. Anything that was not destroyed by the waves was dragged down to the bottom on the Narnian ocean to never been seen or heard of again. 

That was the end of the Hangman's Revenge.

Kathryn had to fight against both the strong tide and her instincts to take a deep breath. She knew that if she gasped in air like her body so desperately needed she would also gasp in the water, that was a death sentence. Her mind was screaming at her to breathe, her lungs crying out in pain and her head throbbing in pain. The urge growing stronger and stronger with each passing second under the water.

There was so much going through Kathryn's mind as she tried to use her exhausted muscles to swim. She was concerned about her crew. Fighting against her instincts to breathe. Worried about dodging sinking planks and masts. Angry about losing her mother's hat. Concerned about the pain on her forehead. But also she felt a certain peace over taking her body. As if all the clashing of the waves, howling of the wind, shouting of the crew and all the neglect from her past was washing away under the water. Cleansing her from her sins.

She was finally ready to breathe in.