two.

02

QUEEN OF THE SEA

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

By the time they had made it to the King's Chambers, Kathryn had received countless glares from the crew. She knew the stories they muttered about her on land and other ships. She knew that he past defined her future. Did she care? She pretended not to.

Caspian pulled two seats out for Carver and Kathryn before taking his own seat opposite them. She replenished his and Carver's cup with fresh tea and poured Kathryn a cup. Just after he take a sip of his own, Kathryn reached over and swapped her own cup with the Kings. She innocently downed the rest of it, thankful to have something other than sea water in her stomach. 

She expected a comment from Caspian yet she did not receive one. Instead, the King simply refilled her glass, leaving her to glare across the table at him. Carver glanced between the two. He had watched his Captain make men go pale just from glaring at them and witnessed as minotaurs went weak in the knees after watching her duel, he had also heard the stories of the great King Caspian who had battles his uncle Miraz with the help of the Pevensies. 

They were both too stubborn for their own good. 

They were both warriors.

"So," Carver began, sitting up right in his chair, "This is all a bit strange, is it not?"

Kathryn ignored her companion, still glaring at Caspian who met her eyes equally as fiercely. She allowed one hand to fall to her freshly filled cup and the other to rest upon her cutlass handle which had been carved by the finest blacksmith in all of Narnia to appear as the ocean waves. The hilt had be finished with the oldest sea shells known to Narnia, the same shells had decorated her hat which had been lost to the sea. 

"Captain," Carver spoke clearly, catching the attention of them both. "Captain, before you woke, King Caspian was telling me that we were a day away from land. He wished to take the bodies of our fallen crew and the other sailors to land for a proper burial. He also suggested giving some coin to those that we found alive so they could make their own decision about staying aboard or finding their way back to family."

"Are any of the sailors alive from our own crew?" she asked hopefully, wishing that some of her family were safe. She had already lost too many to the depths of the ocean and darker forces.

"Maurice is the only survivor we have found. It is safe to say that it has been a quiet day for me," Carver tried to joke.

"Well," Kathryn looked down to her scarred palm where there was the letter R burned into her flesh. "We call him Mo the Mute for a reason. If he was capable of talking, I'm sure he wouldn't stop."

Carver nodded and bowed his head to sip his tea.

"I-I agree with King Caspian. Those we found at sea should be buried properly. If he will allow it-" she turned to face Caspian, her face softer than it was before, "If you will allow it, Carver and I will go to land. Just the two of us. We will bury our deceased alone and I shall return to the ship, if you will have me. I wish to keep looking for my crew."

"I? What happened to we? Not once over the past seven years has it ever been 'I' aboard our ships. It has always been we. We are in this together. We fight back to back. We don't give up," Carver scolded her, pleasing with his eyes.

She refused to meet his eyes and began sipping her tea whilst she thought of how to reply. "Narnia has began to see darker days, Carver. We have reported triple the storms over the past year than we have ever seen before. Whatever force is threatening the sea will not stop. It is my purpose to save as many from people like him as I can. It is my duty. I will not risk the lives that I have saved, especially yours."