six.

06

ENTITLED MEN

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Kathryn nodded, "Some of that was from Telmar, some of it Narnian. Most of it comes from Calormen and the Archenland."

She sheathed her weapon gracefully, pushing her hair from her face as she no longer had her hat to hold it back anymore. Carver's braid stayed perfectly neat in her hair, but Edmund looked disheveled after their duel. His shirt no longer tucked and his hair pointing out in different directions. They had duelled for quite some time, only the music from the band provided noise. Everyone else had stayed silent for the whole time.

"Did you learn it from the sailors that you sent to the bottom of the ocean?" she heard someone shout out.

She bit her tongue, held her composure and walked away. 

The crowd parted for her, acting as though touching her would spread a plague. She felt a shoulder barge into her as she walked past, she bit her tongue harder until blood burst. 

The door to her cabin clicked quietly as she closed it behind her, a breath leaving her bloodied lips. It hurt her, it hurt each fibre of her being that people spread the stories of her blood thirsty murders and selfish plunders. It hurt that she was painted as a villain when all she ever did was lock the real villains behind bars. Sure, many ended up as food for the sharks and their ships at the bottom of oceans, but they had brought that upon them selves. She always gave each slaver and pirate a chance to surrender before she would attack and free the slaves. She gave them a choice, it was more than they ever gave her.

Once, a slaver had set his own ship on fire with his crew and countless victims onboard. He preferred the idea of death more than he did a jail cell. They were barely able to save half of the victims below the deck before the ship exploded as the fire reach the gunpowder store. It had been a day of great loss and the skies mourned the loss of innocent life for eleven days and eleven nights.

Kathryn pealed the blue tunic from her body, returning it to the depth of the clothes chest where it would never be worn again. Such a waste of a beautiful piece of clothing. She replaced it with the same white one that she had worn the day before, it still carried Caspian's rich scent. Kathryn unbuttoned her sheath from her belt and placed it on her desk beside stories of Narnian battles and sketches of the Archenland.

She didn't realise until she sat in the curved windowsill of her circular window at the back of her cabin, but her hands were shaking. Maybe Carver had the right intentions, but she should have insisted on not duelling. It only made her easier to fear. The small amount of Caspian's crew that didn't mind Kathryn's presence would surely hate her like the rest of them did. She forced the window open, gulping down the ocean air in deep breaths until there was a knock at her door.

She stayed silent, her head leaning on the side of her open window as the door opened.

"Captain," a voice echoed. Caspian.

"You should go and enjoy the festivities. I was getting some rest before my night shift," she still didn't turn to face the King. She had been arguing with him almost the minute they first bumped into each other after breakfast and she just wanted to sleep.

Caspian approached her desk, his fingers shuffling through the sketches on her desk. "You're a skilled artist," he whispered, his fingers staying on a sketch of Destro's Castle, the home of his grandfather's father. "Have you truly explored all of the land and sea?"