twelve.

12

DUFFLEPUD

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"Wake up, child," she heard in her dreams. Kathryn smiled at the familiarity and homeliness of the voice. Such a soft, sweet voice. A motherly voice. "It is time for you to wake up."

Kathryn shot up, all the sleep and tiredness drained from her body as she raised her sword up. She hadn't been dreaming, so who had spoke? She stood up, her sword still in hand as she silently circled the camp. Kat left her eyes roam the whole beach and the tree line. She found prints in the sand. Feet? But they were too big. Huge, even. But she could see the outline of toes, and the heal of a foot. They were feet, just not human. The prints were clear, a path leading to the centre of the camp. Leading to an empty bed.

Kathryn looked to Gael beside the empty mat and then she looked to the book, the very book that Lucy had borrowed from their cabin the morning before. 

"Edmund! Caspian!" she called, returning her sights to the treeline where the prints had disappeared too. 

She heard their sleepy groans, chorused by many of the other sailors that woke up.

"Someone has Lucy," she spoke clearly, taking control of the situation. "Something has Lucy." 

Everyone was awake then, fear and confusion freezing in the morning air.

"Get up!" Drinian shouted across the camp. Everyone was on their feet, tucking in their shirts and attaching their weapons to their belts. 

Kathryn was at the head of the party, Caspian and Edmund not far behind her as the rest of the crew fell into formation. Everyone had their weapons pointed outwards, defending themselves as they stalked through the forest. 

"These feet... they're obviously not human. Too small for giants. But, they're sporadic. They aren't walking like two feet would, they aren't together like a pair. Maybe something with multiple legs?" Kathryn asked out to no one in particular. She had a very rudimentary knowledge of the dangers and monsters that lived on land; she never stayed in one place for long enough. All of her knowledge about creatures from Narnia and the surrounding lands typically came from her books or the sailors that she saved. 

Sea creatures, on the other hand, her knowledge had no limit. She had witnessed almost every type of sea creature to exist; conversed and fought most of them, too. Those that she had not seen with her own eyes, she had heard enough of from everyone else, if there was anyone left to tell the tale.

Edmund visible paled. "What has my sister?"

Caspian and Kathryn shared a quick look. Neither of them knew.

"Whatever has Lucy, they won't have her for long." Kathryn watched as the thick, dense trees of the forest slowly dissipated into well kept bushes and flower beds. 

"If whatever has Lucy has half a mind to take care of their garden in this way, then I have hope," Caspian spoke, his eyes frantically taking the whole garden in.

"A garden," Drinian spoke his mind, "Yet no house?"

Kathryn felt that tugging in her chest. A shiver ran down her spine. 

"It's Lucy's dagger," Edmund fell to his knee to retrieve his sister's blade.

"We're on the right track, she can't be too far," Caspian replied before turning to Kathryn. He noticed her her body looked as thought it was frozen, only the rise and fall of her chest to indicate that she was on. "Kathryn, what's wrong?"