twenty one.

21

THE FREE ISLES

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

It had been a pleasant sail to the location of Kathryn's secret islands, she had yet to tell the crew, or Caspian, what their destination would hold. She trusted the crew enough to take them there, but she was unsure of how Caspian would react when he saw it. When he saw why she was so fiercely wanted by the slavers, why she was so scarred and secretive.

They had bypassed as many islands as they could on their journeys; dropping Narnians off at ports for them to return home or make new homes. Some had decided to stay, to stay with the King and stay with their Captain; including Rhince, Helaine and Gael. They had also picked up the three Lords from Aslan's Table, all of which decided to come along for the journey. 

"We dock here," she told those around her as she held the large wheel of the Dawn Treader.

It didn't take them long for the island to come into sight, and the surrounding islands around them. But it did take them long to row up to the shore. Caspian had yet to say a single word since they had left The Dawn Treader, neither had Kathryn. In fact, even Carver had stayed silent and he bopped up and down in his seat excitedly, happy to be home. Mo had placed a hand on his knee to stop him rocking the boat too much.

Kathryn was the first to step foot off the boat, the sand damp under her boots and fighting the urge to take a handful of sand. She smiled. 

"Caspian," she offered her hand for him to take as he stepped off, "Welcome to The Free Isles. The home of the free. My home."

Then he heard it: busy chatter of idle conversation; a fire crackling underneath a cauldron of stew; young children playing and parents scolding them; the clashing of swords followed by commands; a variety of animals making a variety of noises. His brows furrowed as they ascended the hill.

Below them was a settlement, a big one at that. Wooden huts connected by stone paths that had been decorated with vibrant paints; a communal pit with a fire in the centre, stone and wooden benches surrounding it; merchant stalls bartering rich silks, wooden carvings, fresh fruits and vegetables; children running around after each other, throwing painted sticks between them. 

The noise abruptly stopped. All eyes on Kathryn, Caspian, Carver and the crew behind them. Caspian let his eyes roam, taking it all in. 

"She's home!" a child shouted and ran over, jumping into her waiting arms. "Kat! You're home!"

Kathryn squeezed the girl tightly in her arms, spinning her around. "Nina, this is King Caspian," she introduced them, the girl with bright red cheeks that matched her red hair, "He is here to help."

Caspian couldn't stop smiling.

"All the people you saved- Everything you stole-" he fumbled over his words.

"I never stole for greed or attacked out of spite. Everything I ever had, it came back here. They are the Forgotten, those lost to the sea and sold into forced contracts. We save them and bring them here where they are free to have children, free to learn trades, free to leave. Free."

She was barely able to to finish her sentence before they were surrounded with men, women and children. Some human, some faun. Some having scales up their cheeks, some having horns. They were all smiling as they dragged Kathryn around, Nina held over one hip and two smaller children climbing up her back. Carver was not long dragged into the crowd by a group of rugged sailors; the sailors that they had lost on the Hangman's Revenge, all hugging and already telling stories of their travels. Mo was quickly enveloped by his children, all eight of them with teary eyes. Helaine, Gael and Rhince were happily brought in by an elderly woman who insisted on reading their palms.