eighteen.

18

SERPENT

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"Gael!" Lucy screamed. The poor, little girl had been the only one to hide on the other side of the ship whilst everyone else had ran to the railings to see what had gone underneath the boat.

Within seconds, Kathryn had the girl thrown over her shoulder and returned to the safety of her father's side. Kathryn fell to one knee as she retrieved one of the many daggers that were strapped to her thighs, placing it in the girl's hand. 

"This," she pointed to the blade, "Is not where you courage is made." Kathryn placed a hand over her own heart, where it was tightening and constricting. "This is where your courage is made. Be brave."

Gael nodded up at her, teary eyed. The small girl wiped her tears in her pink dress and clutched the blade with both hands like Kathryn and Lucy had taught her. Gael's eyes became distant as they fell on something behind Kathryn.

Kathryn, reluctantly, followed her gaze to find the sea serpent cresting the surface of the stormed seas. It had green scales cascading down its body, a mouth that seemed to have no jaw as it opened to impossible size to reveal teeth the size of swords. It had two beady, yellow eyes that flicked across each and every crew member as if sizing up its next meal. For some reason, Kathryn hoped that the beast would roar. Instead, it shrieked at them. A loud, terrifying shriek.

Eustace came swooping in with flames shooting at the serpent. The serpent lashed out, shaking its head to try and throw the dragon and mouse off its face, hitting the boat harshly as it did. After what felt like minutes of the dragon and serpent duelling, Eustace was thrown off and nearly crashed into the waves.

"We are at a disadvantage!" Carver yelled with his blade pointed up at the serpent.

Kathryn let her eyes roam all over the beast to look for its weak spots. The scales looked impenetrable and covered almost the whole body. Its mouth was constantly shrieking its disorientating shriek. And its eyes constantly planning the serpents next move.

"The eyes!" she called out as the beast began glaring at her with a new found curiosity. Could it understand her? "Archers, aim for the eyes!"

She watched as Mo reached for his crossbow, loading it full of arrows and passing the loaded crossbows down the line of archers.

Eustace roared in agreement as he swooped in yet again, this time his claws went straight for the serpent's eyes. There was a great shriek as the serpent dove into the water, Eustace still clutching to its face. Lucy let out a cry for her cousin. They both crested the water once more, everyone could only watch as Eustace was thrown harshly against the side of the cave. Injured, his only defence was the flames from his mouth. There was another shriek, this time pained, as the beast shook his head with flames engulfing its scales. He dived for the water.

Lord Rhoop pushed past Caspian and Kathryn, throwing his sword in a miraculous arch across the boat. The sword found its place in Eustace's torso with a whine of pain. "Out creature!"

Eustace roared in pain as he started to flap his wings. To leave.

Kathryn looked at the sword in his torso. "Aslan's Table!" she cried out to him, not sure if her words could be heard by the dragon over the sound of the waves crashing.

"We're all doomed!" Rhoop chanted as he climbed the stairs to the hull, pushing the crew away as he took the wheel and turned the ship around.

Drinian followed him calmly, hitting the Lord around the face harshly, making Lord Rhoop fall to his knees. "Aft crew, to your rowing positions! Oars at double speed!"