Born of Water Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

the DANCE

They moved together with the same ease they had when circling each other with swords. Lavinia knew how Darag would move. She could read his intentions in the muscles of his chest and arms. They spun in the whirlwind of Kith dancers until she was out of breath. As the music dwindled he double stepped, spinning her around once faster. Lavinia stayed close against him to keep her balance, laughing as the world flashed by.

They did not dance every round, but found themselves with Laireag, Cuileann, Beite, Niri, and Ria when they weren't off twirling in the grass as well. But Darag was right, she never gave much notice to anyone else. Laireag, Cuileann, nor any other Kith asked her to dance the rest of the night. Instead, her hand stayed in Darag's.

She could feel the crowd thinning, the music fading. The greater moon had nearly crossed the expanse of the clearing. The leaves of the forest reached out to hide the lavender disk of the full moon, its craters and plains clearly visible as it travelled on its closest circuit to the planet. She could not deny the gathering was near its end.

"Do you want to walk?"

Lavinia nodded. Her heart was too happy to settle for sleep. They headed along the aerial paths into the false stars of twinkling insects and milky glowing plants. Every time they brushed each other, Lavinia tingled.

"I heard a phrase tonight and the night before. I think a few people used it in reference to me. What does Pluryh Ahk'Goaithe mean?"

Darag flushed. "You caught that? It means 'flower of the wind.'"

"I'm still not used to that. Ria has always been considered the prettier of the two of us," Lavinia said, her cheeks flaming.

"What have you seen of the Kith? Ria has light hair and green eyes. This is not unusual to us. I think Beite's skin is even paler than hers. But you have hair that is like a river at night." Darag reached our and traced his hand through her heavy locks. "And eyes the color of the sky. The Kith rarely have such traits. It is exotic. You are very beautiful."

"Oh, and is that what you like about me? That I'm beautiful?"

Darag gave a soft snort, but a flash of sadness crossed his eyes. He dropped her hand to lean over the railing. He glanced at her, his expression fond again though he kept his distance.

"No, that isn't it at all."

There was pain in his eyes. There was more of an ache than she had expected in her chest as well. She stood by his side not sure what to do. Every time she felt close to him, he pulled away. Confused, she leaned her forehead against his shoulder. He hesitated before putting his arm around her. The stood together, watching the lights move through the trees. Far below the last of the dancers swirled together like a living whirlwind.

"What do they call Ria?"

"Fhograidh, it means pursued."

"And my brother?"

Darag compressed his lips. "Feanntag, it means... nettle, one who hurts and hurts others."

She laughed. Darag glanced over at her.

"That is a good name for him. I will have to suggest it to our parents."

Darag chuckled. He pulled her forward with sure steps as if he now had a destination in mind.

"Where are we going?"

"A place I want to show you."

Darag did not say more. They reached a juncture where a small branch angled deliberately away into the tree tops. He led her forward, steadying her as the path narrowed. Beneath her feet, Lavinia felt the movement of the thick branch. There was no railing here. Below her stretched depthless darkness. She sought out Darag's hand for reasons other than budding emotion.