Born of Water Chapter 17

CHAPTER 17

DARAG'S PROMISE

Morning light flickered and moved through Lavinia's borrowed bedroom like a living thing. A faint breeze fluttered the leaves in the interwoven branch walls of Beite's home, sending light shimmering. Crystals hanging amidst the vines and branches flashed dancing colors in the swinging light. Watching the random patterns, Lavinia lay abed a few moments while she recovered from her dream.

In it, Ty had left her again. She still saw her brother's face from the night before. He had spoken to her only once after Laith Lus's invitation to stay, and that had been to ask if she was coming back to Drufforth.

"No, I want to stay here," Lavinia had answered, wishing her brother would understand.

He'd looked at her as if she were a stranger. "We may leave while you are here with your new friends." He turned and stalked into the night.

Niri touched her shoulder, distracting Lavinia from the chokehold her throat had on her lungs. "Do not let him change your mind. We don't have much time here. You should enjoy it." Lavinia huddled in Niri's arms.

"Why can't he be happy?"

"I don't know," Niri answered. "But it isn't your job to make him happy. You are responsible for yourself." Niri touched her cheek and let her go. "I will see you tomorrow," she said before walking off.

"Don't worry, I don't want to leave, not without you and Niri. Ty will stay, too, you'll see."

Lavinia nodded at Ria's words, her chest loosening again. For one moment as she watched her brother and friends walk away, Lavinia had been alone among strangers. And then Darag had found her.

That memory gave her heart a quick beat. At the same instant Beite, Darag's younger sister, stuck her head around the door frame. She smiled shyly, finding Lavinia's focus instantly on her as she bounced into the room. Beite hopped onto the foot of the fragile-looking wooden bed with more force than Lavinia thought reasonable.

"I didn't want to wake you."

"I've been awake, just watching the sunshine. I like the crystals in the branches."

Beite smiled, ducking her head to hide the blush that rose across her nearly white cheeks. Unlike Darag, Beite was white with faint gray mottling on her skin. Occasionally, slashes of black broke the pale pattern, including one across her cheek, which gave her a fierce look. Her hair was reddish-blond, even lighter than Ria's golden locks. With all her pale coloring, Beite's eyes were the most surprising. They were a deep brown, almost the color of black earth.

"The house, it is still growing. That's why it's so small. You should see my brother's," Beite said with a mixture of awe and sisterly disgust. She glanced down, embarrassed again. "I've never had guests before. I'm glad you like it. I'm also not much of a cook, so my mother invited us up for breakfast."

Lavinia guessed that Beite meant up literally. She swung her legs out of bed and hurried to dress.

Beite led them along the clearing and up the branch paths where Darag had played tour guide for Lavinia the day before. She had seen little of Darag since he'd introduced her to his sister, who had offered to host Lavinia. This morning, mist hung amidst the trees around the clearing. Houses vanished in the grayness while brightly colored creatures chittered from branches overhead.

"Is it common to give your guests so much attention?" Lavinia asked, her attention more on memories than on the aerial city. The council and dinner the night before were still on Lavinia's mind, slowing her pace despite the crisp morning.