Born of Water Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

THE BAZAAR OF SARDINIA

No one entered Sardinia unnoticed. The town sat perched on an exposed, slim finger of land which jutted out into the Sea of Sarketh. High hills dropped quickly to the ocean, leaving no deep, sheltering harbor for vessels. Instead, a natural breakwater, formed by a line of rocks sweeping out from the point, offered ships meager shelter from the current and incoming storms.

A small town had been built by those skillful or desperate enough to seek refuge behind the submerged rocks of the breakwater. Despite the convenient location of the town between the Archipelago and the cities lining the Sea of Sarketh, the lack of a harbor had kept the settlement from becoming a thriving commercial town. Over time, the breakwater had been enlarged with boulders and the town had turned to catering to those whose needs were not met in the traditional markets. Sardinia was avoided by conventional merchants and honest professionals, or so Ria had heard. It was the best of the things she'd heard about Sardinia.

As Lavinia steered them toward a ramshackle wharf, Ty stood watch leaning over the edge of the boat.

"Rocks awash fifteen feet to port."

Lavinia nudged the rudder post to turn them a degree to the right.

"No, keep the course steady," Ty snapped, his harsh tone causing Lavinia to flush as she froze her hand.

"Then say 'stay on course,' not 'rocks to port,'" Lavinia retorted.

Ty ran his hand through his already rumpled hair. Ria and Niri glanced at each other in silence. They glided past the half-submerged remains of a ship. The cracked boards of its hull offered an ominous welcome to the dangerous town and harbor. It left Ria lightheaded.

"You are doing fine. Just keep it slow and follow the channel," Ty said a little more kindly.

Lavinia took a deep breath and glared at the back of her brother's head, before refocusing on the quickly approaching wharves. The mass of wooden planks and pilings sprawled along the shore without order. In places, small rope-and-board bridges spanned sections that had fallen into the waves.

"Where do I go?" Lavinia asked, admitting she needed help.

"Stay to the starboard side. Head there, just off the channel. You see?" Ty said, pointing to a doubtful-looking mass of planks nailed haphazardly between old pilings.

"That's where the merchant vessels tie up?" Lavinia asked, voice breaking with nervousness.

Ty glanced at her grimly. "No, but it's the closest to the channel and will be the fastest to leave from."

The edges of Ria's vision faded, the colors blending to white. She inhaled short gasps of sea-laden air while her stomach tumbled. Only the fear that she'd be ill if she opened her mouth kept Ria from asking Lavinia to sail them away.

Three men walked down the wharf as Lavinia stalled the sailboat off the dock. They confidently stepped across the missing planks with an easy swagger. His gaze not leaving the approaching men, Ty casually looped a rope around a nearly upright piling, not so much securing them as making certain the boat did not drift.

"Do exactly as I say while we are here," he said quietly.

Wide-eyed, Lavinia watched her brother over the dropped sail as she lashed it to the boom. Niri was pale, but her serene face did not betray any fears. Ria stared at Ty, as frightened of him as she was of the men walking down the dock.

"Aye, what business do you have?"

The lead man stood over their small ship, coolly appraising it from the height of the dock. He hooked one thumb into the waist of his faded red, rough-woven pants, while his weight rested on his right leg in a casual pose. Muted brown hair fell to his cheeks, which showed two days' worth of scruff.