Born of Water Chapter 36

CHAPTER 36

THE MARSH OF ISHA

After Darag learned to control the wind, the air around him changed. It reminded Lavinia of the charged atmosphere surrounding Laireag, but more controlled, more Darag.

Lavinia looked at where he rode next to her, her lips curving into a smile. With him beside her, the ache to return to Lus na Sithchaine was less acute. Darag said it was the same for him, and could not explain it. Other than that maybe since she was not of the Forest originally, and since they were together, the need was less. It was a satisfying thought, but paled next to simply being near him again.

As an Earth Elemental, he was not supposed to be able to control air. That fact did not escape her. But having been born a Spirit Elemental, it seemed to buffer him from the initial feeling of too much space he had said he felt the first time he called the wind.

"It was like finding yourself on a mountaintop with a view of all the world, but not enough air to breath. I thought I would suffocate or expand suddenly to break apart into nothing. Then it flooded back in and I could feel every particle - what makes the force of wind. After that, I could control it."

Darag's description did not sit well with Lavinia. She had never thought of a risk to him. He was always so skilled. To think that there was a danger in just trying to touch an element made her mouth go dry.

As they rode north the day before, the rolling mounds had fallen away. Throughout the journey, the three Elementals tested themselves and each other. After fire, mastering water was next with Niri leading the way early that morning. Ria had fumbled, Darag told Lavinia, grabbing the essence of fluid too tightly so that it slipped from her fingers. It barely moved for her. Impatient, Ria only made small successes before wanting to move on.

"And you?" Lavinia asked.

Darag gave her a half smile and shrug. "Water is not a challenge for Earth Elementals."

Ria had suggested they try to control the wind as it rippled the tall stalks of grass, creating waterless waves. Unlike water, air was not an element all three were guaranteed to share. Niri, having called it before, went first. Lavinia watched as Niri closed her eyes. Her small horse tossed its head as wind blossomed before it, racing out in a sweeping wave of bowing grass.

Ria had floundered for a moment. Then a natural strong gust of wind had struck the group. Ria frowned and, in a flick of concentration, the wind parted to flow around them. Ria laughed, tossing back her head with a carefree mirth Lavinia had never seen in her. Niri smiled, but her eyes had been sober as they landed to Darag. Niri had called the element forbidden to her. Lavinia had never seen Niri cowed, but she would not talk about calling fire.

Lavinia had seen no change on Darag's face as he closed his eyes and bowed his head. Whatever struggle occurred in him had been hidden from her. One moment he was as before, the next he was surrounded by the spark of a storm as the air in front of him shimmered and danced. He only told her later of the time that hung frozen in his mind, when he could not breathe and threatened to break apart.

Now he held all five elements and the air around him was thick with power. She wondered what Laith Lus would say when they returned. Or for that matter, what the Ashanti would say now. They would be equals, Darag and Jeif'taku.

Ahead the last hillock stood before the setting sun. From here, the trail turned west. They would reach Ashi'Shinai tomorrow, once they crossed through the marsh. Ty reigned in his horse on the last rise. The path ahead disappeared into muck through the soggy grassland.