Born of Water Chapter 33

CHAPTER 33

REUNION

The force of Lavinia's embrace knocked back Darag's hood. Sunlight flooded his vision, but that didn't matter. Most of his awareness was on Lavinia, the physical feel of her in his arms.

"Behdwah soka nohle," Darag said, barely aware of his robed companions. 

He wanted only to feel Lavinia's heart beating against his chest. She was so light in his arms, her body lost in the folds of loose fabric she used to hide from the sun. But there was power in her arms. She held him like she would never let him go. A tremble raced through Darag, choking his throat closed.

Lavinia squirmed against him. She pulled up his hood to block out the sun, her hands staying cupped against his cheeks. What Darag saw on her face did not help the worry in him. Her skin was tanned and wind burnt, lips cracked. Her blues eyes were luminous though, brighter than the sun filled sky.

Lavinia led Darag to their shelter, hand entwined with his. At the threshold of the tent door, the sand was damp. Surprised, Darag watched the smallest trickle of water bubble up. He had to force his gaze away from the fixation water caused in the desert. Niri smiled at him over the canteen he had asked the riders to give them. He had no doubt whose gift had brought water out of the dry land.

Ty stood slowly at Darag's approach. They eyed each other in silence, memories of Lus na Sithchaine heavy in the burning air. Then Ty stuck out his hand.

"We have yet to really meet properly. I'm Lavinia's brother."

A wry smile formed on Darag's lips. "I'm Darag, Lavinia's husband."

Ty started to chuckle as he clasped Darag's hand. "Gods, we are glad to see you." Ty leaned forward and gave Darag a one handed embrace. "Brother."

Darag closed his eyes a moment, not sure he could take much more joy or heartache. As soon as he and Ty released each other, Lavinia threw herself into her brother's arms. He was in worse shape and her weight collapsed him to his knees. Darag smiled as he sat next to them on the shaded blanket.

"How?" Lavinia asked as she returned to his side.

Darag ran his hand through her river of midnight-dark hair. "Later, tonight I will tell you. Rest now. Though, I will say one thing." Darag said turning to Niri. "You were right. The Kith are true Earth Elementals."

Darag placed one hand on the ground next to the sandy puddle of water. A moment after his touch, the sand compacted around the flow. The water in the depression cleared, forming a growing pool. Niri let out a slow breath. The desert riders next to the camels glanced at each other. 

"It will be an oasis in time, preserving what you did."

As the dying sun streaked the sky, the two smallest desert riders pulled dried meat, fruit, rice, and pots from the packs of their horses. Darag, Lavinia, Ty, Ria and Niri joined them in the flat between the dunes near the tiny pool of water, Darag introducing the desert riders. 

Rah'kana, the group leader, was slightly stooped and often quiet. A thin white band with woven red trim secured the wrapped cloth covering his head. Kiefa'shoo was the most animated in his movements. Tef'han was the easiest to differentiate, being the shortest of the robed riders and with wide shoulders. He carried himself with a swagger like he was ready for a fight. Jeif'taku was Tef'han's opposite. Slender and tall, he moved like the desert wind. Behk'sah kept to himself with head lowered as he looked out at the small group. His dark eyes remained hidden in shadows.