Chapter 4- You Look Really Pretty Right Now

A/N: I don't actually have an author's note, but I think it would be weird if I didn't have one...

Chapter 4- You Look Really Pretty Right Now

Word Count- 1310

*****

I thought I was ready. I thought I would know what to play in the moment. I thought I would finally be able to put my hands on the keys. I was wrong. As soon as I placed one hand down, I had taken it off again. I pulled the cover back over the keys. 

"I'm sorry", I told Ms. Harrison, the music teacher, as I rushed out of the room. "Is this where we clap?", Carrie said. A couple of people laughed. "Watch it, Carrie", one girl said. She left the room to look for me.

I was crying on the stairs when I heard her voice. "Hey...Dahlia, right?", she asked. "Yeah", I replied. "What happened in there?", she continued. "Oh yeah. You probably think I'm a loser. They do too.", I said gesturing to the classroom with my head. 

"You shouldn't worry about it. People mess up all the time.", she said chuckling. "Glad to know I'm not the only one", I said letting out a giggle. "I'm Flynn", the girl said holding out her hand. I shook it. "Nice to meet you."

"Why are you here anyway?", I said "You saw how they all laughed at me."

"Sorry, I guess being an asshole isn't in my blood."  We laughed.  "But, if you don't mind me asking, why did you stop?".  I had a feeling I could trust her. Plus, I really needed to vent to someone. 

"My mom....passed away back in June.", I started. "We were really close and we would always play music together. My audition was going to be the first time I played since she died."

"I'm so sorry", Flynn said. She gave me a hug. I hugged her back. "I-it's okay. I guess I'm just not ready yet.", I said. "This is random and kind of weird to ask, but do you think we can be friends?", Flynn said sheepishly. 

"Well I just shared something pretty personal so I think it'd be weird if I declined", I said laughing. "Do you maybe want to come over tomorrow?" She pulled out her phone. "Sure! Give me your number and text me the address." 

 Right as I finished saving my contact on her phone, the bell rang and we said goodbye. Who knew all it took to make a new friend was Carrie being a bitch to you for no reason and a deceased parent? I thought. Oh, wait that sounded a little insensitive. Sorry mom, love you!

*****

When I got home, I immediately made my way to the studio. It's not every day that three ghosts pop up in your studio after all.  At first, I was skeptical, but now I was pretty excited about it. When I pushed the doors opened I was welcomed by Reggie and Luke arguing about something and Alex just laying on the couch trying to balance a drumstick on his nose.

"Umm, hi guys...", I said wearily. "Thank god you're here Lia", Alex said. "Reggie and Luke have been going at this for at least 10 minutes." Reggie and Luke stopped once they heard Alex talk to me. "Well the only reason I'm arguing is because Luke doesn't want me to come with you guys and I want to get to know you too.", Reggie started. "So I blackmailed him."

"Wow Reg, I didn't know you had it in you.", Alex said. "I didn't know I had it in me either!", Reggie replied. I laughed. "Well, Reggie", Luke said. "You only had the information to blackmail me because you were snooping in my journal!"

"What could possibly be that bad that you can't just tell me?", I said. 

"Nothing", Luke replied. "And Reggie you still can't come." Reggie just smiled and grabbed Luke's journal. He started reading. "Today I met a really pretty girl. She has gorgeous ey-" Luke tackled Reggie and put a hand over his mouth.