37

Why rush? The only thing that's going to happen is security looking at you like you've completely lost your mind.

The thought froze her in place. What exactly was her plan for any of this? Show up and just walk in without an issue? Even if she waited for them to arrive at the venue there wasn't any guarantee that she would be able to get close enough to them without someone stopping her. She couldn't fight anyone and yelling would just draw unnecessary attention. There was no real way to actually pull it off no matter how many situations she imagined.

Her shoulder rested against the wall, bracing her as she tried to steady her breathing. Panic settled deep inside the pit of her stomach, a wave of nausea sweeping over her as she slid down the wall and onto the floor. Vanessa's vision went blurry as tears filled her eyes. Biting the pain was barely an option as agonizing cramps seemed to crush her insides from within. A soundless scream leaving her a shaking mess on the cold floor.

"I shouldn't have gone," she whimpered. "I shouldn't have started this!"

Her mind flooded with images of what would have been, a world where she hadn't gone back for him. Where she hadn't loved him. His family would still miss him of course, but she wouldn't be hurting this badly.

What? Why would you even think that?

The thought broke her even further. The selfishness of it weighing her completely down. A small heartbreak was more than a fair price to pay for giving his family their son back. She had no right to think otherwise about it. His family would never know the full extent of her actions, would never really understand why she had done what she did. Hell, even she didn't completely understand why she went back for him. Out of all the people in the world who could have either been saved or spoken to, she had chosen him.

With as many people who had claimed to admire him before, it amazed her that she had been the only one to actually try and save him.

People love a sad story.

The statement was truer than she wanted it to be. No one really cared for a happy ending, tragedies and heartache always sold better. A bitter truth in a cold and unforgiving world that had driven Dead to his end in the beginning. A world that would torment anyone they didn't understand until they were dead and gone and then, only then, would they play victim and say it wasn't their intention.

Vanessa knew all too well the many faces of deception. Aubrey knew how to wear that mask all too well. Ever since she could remember, Vanessa could only ever recall times where she would be hiding from her mother in a futile attempt at stalling the beatings, only to have Aubrey at her side telling her how much she loved her only after a harsh beating. It was on those nights Vanessa found herself crying out for her father, knowing he wouldn't come.

Had Dead done the same? Cried out to someone he knew wouldn't come save him just to cling to some kind of hope? Or had he just silently suffered with a mask he wore almost as well as Aubrey? And even if he hadn't put on a brave face surely someone around him had seen the torment he had been dealing with. Why hadn't they done anything?

The teachings of a time gone by. She rationalized. Men were supposed to be tough, unfeeling. They were supposed to fight back.

Her eyes closed, recalling the night Dead had almost sent a man to the hospital at the club after Melanie had called him. The anger in him had been unreal. A part of her wondered if a vast majority had come from all the years he had kept his emotions buried.

Pressing her back against the wall, Vanessa let out a jagged breath. There were plenty of things she didn't know about Dead, things she would only ever know if she had been there, yet she still loved him.

"Maybe I moved too fast," she spoke out. "He was vulnerable and I took advantage of it. I should have just..."

What?

"Ugh! Why? Why did it have to be you?! Why?"

Her head snapped up at a knock on the door, her vision still blurred as she tried to stand. Pulling herself up off the floor, Vanessa slowly made her way to the door. Her heart pounded in her ears, the sound of her footsteps amplified. She hadn't been expecting anyone this early and Valerie wasn't given her address.

"Who is it?" she managed.

The only reply was another more rapid knock on the door. Every part of her screamed to ignore whoever it was, to turn around and go back to sleep for a few more hours, yet her body seemed to be moving on autopilot. A breath of relief escaped her as she took a look out of the small hole in the door seeing only Tanya. Unlocking the door, she opened it wide for the woman.

"What are you doing here so early?" Vanessa questioned. "I thought you wouldn't be here until ten."

Tanya smiled, shaking her head slightly. "Ness, it's already nine-thirty. Are you alright? You don't look so good."

"It's been a long night. I'll go get ready and then we can go. Make yourself comfortable."

Dark brown eyes stayed locked on Vanessa as she sipped her drink. Liam had yet to take his eyes off her since they had arrived at the café, most likely still annoyed at having to stay at a hotel. He hadn't talked much to her, but the few words he managed were cold and short while Aubrey on the other hand had tried to pry as much information as she could out of Vanessa before Tanya shut her down. Valerie had tried to make small talk, but Vanessa ignored her with the hope she would eventually give up.

Liam finally spoke up. "Can't you just tell us something about why you just up and left without saying anything?"

Taking another small sip of her drink, Vanessa looked over at him. "There's really nothing to say, Liam. Even if there was, I don't want to talk about it."

"You need to."

Her face burned, the anger she was trying so hard to repress only grew stronger the more he pushed. She wanted to leave, wanted to tell Tanya to take her home so she didn't have to deal with them anymore, but she knew they would somehow find out where she lived. They had already found what city she was living in so it wouldn't be hard to find her address. Anything could be bought these days.

Turning her head in an attempt to distract herself, Vanessa caught sight of an almost familiar face. His face was oddly one she remembered but couldn't place. She knew she had seen him before but couldn't remember where.

Short blond, curly hair slightly reveals a charming and charismatic face. Small eyes, set concealed within their sockets, watch enthusiastically as people pass him as he talks with those in his group. He's wearing a plain V-neck shirt that leaves most of his upper chest exposed. His leather jacket wraps snugly around his body, zipped only up to the ribs. The jacket matches the tight black jeans he wore along with his boots. Something about his clothes reminded her of someone she had come in contact with when she had been with Dead. As if he felt her gaze, his head drifted over in her direction, a pair of piercing blue eyes locking with hers.

Her heart sank to the pit of her stomach, the taste of bile in the back of her throat. His smile became almost intimidating, causing her to shrink back into her chair as he sent an almost unnoticeable wink her way before turning his attention back to his conversation. The bickering of her brother and mother faded further and further from her ears and she suddenly felt as if she couldn't breathe.

Varg... 

**I would like to thank you all so much for reading this! I never would have thought I would have so many amazing people read this and I can't even begin to express how much it means to me! Thank you all so much for your love and support! I know the chapters sometimes take a while to come out but I appreciate your patience with me. I hope to have the next part up by tomorrow for you all <3 thank you again I love you all**