Chapter 10:Tara

I knew exposing the secret passage was a horrible risk but I wanted to get out alive, preferably with Raven and James.

Raven was surprisingly strong and so lifting James seemed to be easy and with that we ran off. I knew according to standard protocol the Arani would have to inform the higher officials about the escape before they could chase us, so we were safe!

It felt like we were running for hours before we halted, somewhere deep in the forest, for some rest.

I quickly gathered some wood and made a humble fire and pushed some rocks and logs for seating. We all sat down and for the first time after seeing James in the state he was in the torture room, I saw him again.

His lips were blue and his hair ruffle and glued together with dried blood, his blood. I couldn't even count the various scratches marring his once handsome face. He looked like he hadn't eaten and that he was whipped and torture in every way possible, I should know, I saw the prisoners in the torture camp.

They would usually blurt out some truth and die immediately and if James wasn't dead yet, it means he hasn't said anything.

After we had set down the shelter built from twigs, Raven ordered me to attend to James' bruises and handed me a med kit she may have stolen from the Arani. Without a word I grabbed it and started cleaning.

Raven claimed that she should search the ground for Arani and a way out of the dense forest and left with her bow and arrow.

I was left alone with a semi-conscious James.

"Why would you come for me?" James said hoarsely.

"Raven was going to-" I said but was interrupted.

"Raven would not save anyone that was captured by the Arani, not even me!"

"But-"

"Did you cry in front of her?"

"Umm, yes, but how does that matter?"

"Raven hates tears, usually she kills the ones that cry but since it's you, she wanted to erase the reason for your cries"

I was dumbfounded, I would have never thought that Raven would ever treat me like the younger sister, she doesn't even glance at me for gods sakes!

As if James could read my mind he said, "Raven expresses love differently but that doesn't mean she doesn't express love", he smiled softly and the warmth that spread through me was something I hadn't felt in a long time.