Chapter 25:Sage

As we rode on the carriage I couldn't help but stare at the distant castle with a little fear. Not a fear of getting caught but another fear.

One that was deeply rooted to my ugly past.

"Hey Sage, how long are we going to stay at the castle?" James asked, clearly trying to make conversation and attempting break the awkward silence that haven't noticed earlier.

I mentally face-palm as I try to smile and reply with excitement, knowing all to well that the couch men were paying carefully attention to our every word.

"We will be residing at the glorious estate for quiet some time sir James, and please, call me the master Reaper!"

He scowled at my reply before looking away. In front of me I can see Raven carefully observing me with her keen eyes but the frown marked on her pretty face confused me. Could she never just smile at me...its always a frown.

After more than half a days of journey, we arrived in the castle, late into the evening.

"Sir Master Reaper, King of the Forests,welcome to our humble kingdom!"  a man welcomed me, his left chin marked with an ugly scar and his long greying beard carefully combed.The king.

I nodded my head in response and presented my hand to welcome Mara out of the carriage. She gracefully stepped out of the vehicle, her head held high and, obviously ignoring my hand.

Ignoring the disappointment, I followed the king into the palace, the queen behind my fancying dark curly hair and dominant cheek bones, she would have been considered beautiful if not for her  ugly personality.

They guided me to the ball room where we were greeted by the elites, a bunch of rich snobs with too much power obviously.

The gold decorations and red carpet that lined the interior emitted nothing but power and authority. Besides me, Mara let out a small snort, clearly displeased by elaborate decorations that were probably an everyday thing in the palace.No wonder they had declared that the taxes were no enough, at this rate, they could drive the whole kingdom bankrupt. I unknowingly clenched my fists.The people did not deserve this.

I scanned the ball room, carefully analysing the facing, all of them were rich snobs that lived in nothing but luxury.

"Master Reaper, thank you so much for accepting our invitation after so much rejection, king of the forests, we welcome you with open arms!" the old king bellowed, gathering the attention of numerous on lookers who curiously gazed in our direction. I ignored most of them until I noticed a filthy man practically drooling in Mara's direction.Disgusting.

Trying not to run up and punch him, I continue to smile at the ugly hag in front of me. The king's shark brown eyes drew into a crescent shapes as he smiled at me, his greying hair smoothly combed to one side with a diamond encrusted crown decorating his head.

Beside him, the quiet queen's face also graced with a fake smile as she bowed. Her eyes, a shade of mine, were sharp and emotionless.

"I am not a king, i just protect the jungle, the forest has no ruler!" I chuckle with fake humour, but what I said was the truth, the forest never really had a leader, i contrast I was the forest's servant, nothing more.

"Your Majesty Reaper!" a high pitch voice squealed as it drew closer. Before longer I was treated with dark blonde locks and eyes that mirrored the queen. Her ruby dress hugged her body as she gracefully shuffled towards me. It was Anastasia Lourena Deviz the second. 

The crown princess.

Gliding towards our group with swift moves, gathering the attention of the ball room.Bowing at me, she presented a delicate smile.

"Your wife?" she questioned, completely catching Mara and I by surprise.

I was flustered but by the time I was able to murmur a 'no', James added something that made me swallow with fear.

"Yes, they have married just months ago!" James said  gleefully.

Beside me, Mara remained unwavered, but by the clenched mouth and piercing gaze I could deduce she was mad.Really mad.

"And who might you be young sir?" Anastasia enquired with a sultry tone, her tone clearly conveyed her flirtatious side.

"He is the Master reapers closest ally!" Tara added, "He is engaged to me."

The last part was a murmur but that did not go unnoticed by James or Anastasia. Immediately, both James and Tara flushed a shade of crimson.

"Well, it has been long day! Let our kind maids assist you to the quarters upstairs!" the King bellowed after our short yet grand dinner.

I only nodded as we headed towards the lavish rooms where we would be residing for not one, but 10 days!