Chapter 21: Sage

I woke up with a throbbing in my head. I was lying on my cot and remembering how drunk I had gotten last night- I smiled sheepishly.

I was such an idiot.

When I tried to remember how the rest of the night had proceeded after my drinks- it caused nothing but a searing pain in my stomach and head. Had I drunk that much?

"Sage? You awake?" I heard a husky voice speak from the entrance of the tent. James.

"Ya, you guys are leaving today right?" I questioned, a little disappointed.

"We are planning to, I have a question- do you like the empire?" he questioned out of the blue.

"I do not like the crown, if that is what you mean,why?" 

"I was thinking- would you be apart of a rebellious attack against it?"

"Well, it would depend- will it have a high chance of success?" I sniggered.

"I am actually not suppose to tell you this- but, Raven and I have been gathering elite raven's to plan an attack on the crown- assassination of the royal family, who have always been nothing but trouble,and according to popular talk- the crown wanted to meet and partner with you a long time ago but you would always decline... so maybe you could join the attack?" he explained breathlessly.

This took me a lot of time to process- raven was planning something bigger than expected...

I wasn't eve thinking when I nodded- agreeing to the plan.This was death mission.

"One more thing, Raven doesn't know you will be joining- i didn't tell her yet.Get ready to come to our camp now!" he said matter-of-factly before scampering away.

If raven doesn't know yet- that could only mean that James is knows that she would never agree to this- she hates me...but maybe I can use this valuable time to gain her trust again.

Just maybe.

***

"Ready to head out?" I yelled in excitement after I had given my orders to the Reapers and assigned my friend as in charge.

"What do you mean you are 'heading out' ?" Raven said in annoyance- but something was off, she didn't look quiet as annoyed as the day before.I wonder what happened?

"I am sorry I didn't inform earlier Raven but, Sage has really good terms with the crown, who could get us into the castle without the need for our intricate plan- we wont have to sneak in!" James said- a bit too cheerfully.

Raven stared daggers at him before pulling him to the side.I don't know what happened next but he came back minutes later with a slightly swollen cheek. Owch!

"Okay guys, are ready to head out?" Tara said, walking towards the gang- looking at James' face her smile slightly fell.

"What happened to your cheek?" she asked.Before I could comment, James spoke up.

"Slipped and fell!"

"On your cheek?" she asked, mildly bewildered.

"Yes!" James said- trying his best to convince her.

"Fine then," she said wearily.

I couldn't help it at this point- with James' cheek, Raven's unchanged expression and Tara's confusion- I started to laugh. I don't remember laughing this hard in my life before.

The group stared at me- like I had gone insane. I don't know why- but I really liked this gang!

We were going to have some fun.

***

We trekked though the forest for hours and walked through the crowded streets of Gomera, the village with Raven's headquarter. When we finally arrived at a cracked red door that was tarnished from use- I thought I was going mad.

"This is your hideout!" I asked in shock, "A stupid only house- in the desperate need of renovation!"

That gang only stared at me- all of their faces plastered with sinister smirks.

"Nope!This is out base..." James said in pride as we entered the dimly lit corridors leading us to giant double doors that opened into a palace like residence.

"The shabby place in only for the prisoners," James stated, "Anyway, I am tired and so in Tara so maybe Raven should show you around the place!"

He nudged my shoulder with a smirk on his face.I felt like slapping his other cheek- making it as swollen as the one that Raven slapped. This idiot!

"There is no need-" Raven said through gritted teeth but James interrupted.

"But there is! He is our only key Raven, the past in the past!" James said defiantly before walking away with Tara.

Leaving Raven and me in an awkward pool of silence...Why?