~No Rest~

Maevus scurried up to the third floor, wheezing as she reached the top of the stairs. After taking a moment to collect herself, Maevus began moving to her room as quickly as possible. Annoying as it was, she really did want to catch up to Volt. The last thing she wanted was to walk through Valmor alone without the ability to tap into her magic. 

Actually, she didn't want to walk through Valmor at all. Maybe she could hire a coach or something up to the castle. Maevus wrinkled her nose in disgust at the thought of being forced to take one of those rattling deathtraps. 

"Maevus!"

The shout made her jump and she turned to find Korie jogging down the hall to catch up with her. A smile twitched at Maevus' mouth. The clanswoman really had spectacular timing.

"Do you think—"

"Kinai and I—"

Both women stopped and laughed at speaking over the other. Korie gestured for Maevus to go first.

A little shy, Maevus jerked a thumb at her door. "Do you think I could get your help with something?"

Korie blinked in surprise, but otherwise kept a remarkably straight face. She nodded and Maevus opened the door, waving the other woman in first. Korie waited patiently for Maevus to explain rather than bombarding her with questions, something that endeared Maevus to the Tracker enormously.

"I...I've been summoned to see the queen."

Korie blanched. "Oh, dear."

"Exactly." Maevus waved a despairing hand at her dresser. "Have you met her? What should I wear? Volt said—"

"Volt said?" Korie interrupted, already riffling through the dresser. She glanced up at Maevus, raising a dark eyebrow. "Volt spoke to you?"

"Yes..." Maevus drew out the word. "We've both been summoned to see the queen. He wasn't...exactly happy about it."

Korie bit her lip before turning back to the dresser. It was obvious she wanted to say more, but knew now wasn't the time. As Maevus watched, she pulled a long, ivory skirt made of some satiny material out of one drawer, followed by a blouse in jade green with a high collar and sedately puffed sleeves that had tight cuffs.

"Get these on and I'll help with your hair."

Korie wandered to the window, staring out of it to give Maevus some privacy as she slipped into the ensemble. The shirt's material was cool and silky against her skin, but she didn't particularly like the color.

When she was fully dressed, Korie had her sit in the desk chair. With featherlight fingers, she began to braid Maevus' hair. She swore under her breath, squeezing Maevus' shoulder. "I'll be right back, don't move a muscle."

Maevus heard the door open, then close, followed by the pounding of retreating feet. She stared out the window, half-wishing she could see the castle from her room. Then, perhaps, she could pretend like she was preparing herself for whatever was about to happen. 

She'd just allowed herself to slouch in her seat when the door opened and Korie flew into the room. Now with ruthless efficiency, she began to twist and pin Maevus' hair into an elegant updo.

"I'm sorry," she said tightly. "I just saw Volt heading down the stairs. You need to try and catch him." Korie pulled her up to her feet, nudging her boots closer. Maevus clung to the other woman as she stomped into them. "It's better than going so near the guards alone, especially when you're so weak. Volt's not friendly, but he won't let them harass you."

Korie proceeded to hustle her out the door. "At least...I don't think he will." She lightly shoved Maevus' back. "Now, go!"

Hiking the long skirt up over her knees, Maevus broke into a run. She made it down both flights of stairs, but was flagging by the time she hit the main hall. Several heads turned as she ran through the room, her stride uncoordinated. Several times she nearly tripped over her own feet or crashed into someone.