~Tea and Contracts~

As soon as they told the guard who they were and why they were at the castle, events unfolded exactly as Volt had predicted. Maevus kept her sweaty hands clenched firmly at her sides to hide any shaking, trying to keep up with the guard's swift pace. The bright white stone of the courtyard was treacherous with her fatigued body, so Maevus paid far more attention to where she was putting her feet than to what the guard was saying.

Dread welled in the pit of her stomach as they approached the main doors leading into the castle. Subconsciously, she moved closer to Volt, who gently grasped her elbow as they climbed the stairs.

The giant doors creaked open, sunlight spilling over the grey marble of the entry hall. Maevus tried to steady her breathing as quietly as possible. The guard handed them off to a butler, who couldn't be bothered to keep the disdain off his face. The natural response was for Maevus to tilt her chin and stare the man down.

"You will join Her Majesty for tea in the Rose Room," the man said in a deep bass. "This way."

The sheer rudeness had Maevus sneering, but instead of giving the man the tongue-lashing he deserved, she bit the inside of her lip and strode after him. Volt shadowed her steps, just close enough to catch her if she stumbled, but not so close she felt crowded.

As they were led through the castle, Maevus looked neither left nor right. She didn't want to see the masterpieces hanging in gilt frames. She didn't want to see the tables or stands made of exotic woods and inlaid with mother-of-pearl and gold. She didn't want to see the Tormian marble or the Pelani rugs beneath her feet.

It all brought to the surface memories of a place and time best left forgotten. 

As with the guard, Maevus didn't bother listening to the butler's miniature lecture on manners and protocol when taking tea with the queen. Instead, she kept count of the number of turns they made as they wound through the halls. The silk of her shirt trapped the heat of her body, making her sweat. Maevus wiped at her forehead as discreetly as she could.

When they finally drew to a stop outside a door made of reddish wood carved with intricate rose vines, the butler turned sharply to them. He raked his gaze over Volt then Maevus, and was obviously displeased with what he saw.

"I will give you a moment to compose yourself," he said stiffly.

Maevus crossed her arms over her chest, giving him the iciest glare she could manage. She knew wisps of hair had fallen from Korie's careful braids. Sweat was still sticky on her forehead and she hadn't quite caught her breath. But there was absolutely no way she was going to look nervous in front of this pompous windbag. 

His mouth twisted even tighter and he opened the door, stepping past them into the room.

"The Encants you sent for, Your Majesty," he said in a simpering tone that made Maevus want to cringe.

There was a pause, then the queen's silver voice said, "Bring them in."

Volt's chest heaved with a sigh as the butler motioned them in. Then, his shoulders straightened, the rest of his body somehow relaxing to allow a stroll that was simultaneously bored and commanding. Maevus followed just a half a step behind, stopping when he stopped and sinking into a slightly wobbly curtsy as he swept an elegant bow.

"Your Majesty," they murmured in unison.

Maevus' knees had started to shake before the queen gave a chiming laugh. "Please," she said, "join me."

The butler stood just behind the queen, making no move to help Maevus into her chair. Her long skirt made it awkward as she tried to scoot the delicate chair closer to the tea table. When Volt surreptitiously extended a leg and hooked his foot behind the leg of her chair to help pull it forward, she made sure to keep her face calm and collected.