~A Sad Story~

Letya led her back up to the second floor, turning into a hall Maevus recognized. She peered curiously at the handful of other doors as they walked.

She wondered which one led to the library Letya had mentioned. Longing fluttered through her at the thought, but she pushed it away, focusing on the door at the end of the hall.

Letya knocked once on the door before breezing inside, Maevus in tow. Then she came to an abrupt halt, making Maevus stumble into her. 

"Oh," Letya squeaked. "I didn't realize—"

"It's all right," Master Vraylor said as Maevus righted herself and took in the scene in front of her. 

A pale, strained-looking woman sat before the desk, an untouched cup of tea in front of her. A small boy—likely no more than seven—stood beside her, wide eyes darting between Maevus and Letya.

He was an Encant.

Maevus could sense the little kernel of magic nestled inside of him, waiting to grow with practice. She smiled at him, and he ducked closer to his mother, who stiffened slightly.

Vraylor was frowning, watching the boy. Slowly, he said, "We can train him, but he can continue to live at home—"

"No!" 

The woman's harsh response made Maevus jump. She and Letya exchanged a worried glance, then looked back at the boy, who was staring a hole into the floor.

Vraylor's frown deepened and the woman stood, the skirts of her dress swirling around her ankles. The boy flinched a little and Maevus' eyes shot to his mother. Lox hissed quietly from where he was cradled in her arms, drawing the little boy's attention.

His green eyes grew round as coins and he glanced at his mother, then braved a step closer to Maevus.

"We would like him to stay here. With people like you," the woman said.

"With people like him," Master Vraylor responded. "Your son is an Encant, Mrs. Loret. We will be happy to train him, but it is not required that he live away from his family."

The boy didn't even look at his mother. Instead, he crept a little closer to Maevus, staring at the dragon she held. Maevus sent a nudge down Lox's thread, and the dragon leapt from her arms and shook himself before he trotted over to the boy.

Lox butted his head against the boy's legs, making his face light up as he hesitantly patted the dragon.

The woman simply turned on her heel. She cast one look at the boy, disappointment and anger etched into her pale features, then said, "It's better for everyone if you're all in one place."

Now Vraylor got to his feet, his icy blue eyes viciously cold.

The boy ducked his head, but not before Maevus saw tears lining his eyes. Lox chirred and nuzzled the boy's face. Anger swirled up inside her, fire crackling at her fingertips.

The woman said, "We can pay you for his—"

"I don't want your money," Vraylor spat. He shook his head, mouth curling in a grimace before he looked down at the boy. Then he turned a harsh look on the woman, making her flinch. "I don't want anything from a woman who would abandon her own son because of what he is."

She opened her mouth, but Vraylor was already moving. He gently nudged both Maevus and Letya to the side, clearing the path toward the door, then gestured down the hall.

"In seven days, I will expect the proper paperwork delivered to us, giving me custody of Sawyer. I do not expect money from you. I do not expect you to make sure of his welfare." Power seemed to crackle in the air around him and there was nothing in his face but fury.